UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Guess the ancient city!

Maladict

So . . . Teurnia?

...no it is not in Teurnia...

History;

the foundation date of the roman settlement can be dated to around 15BC

the best time it enjoyed around Tiberius reign and at the end of the first century AD it was already declining rapidly,

interesting tidbit; in the 8th century the area was under langobards influence...

History;

the foundation date of the roman settlement can be dated to around 15BC

the best time it enjoyed around Tiberius reign and at the end of the first century AD it was already declining rapidly,

interesting tidbit; in the 8th century the area was under langobards influence...

This rules out my next guess of Virunum. The only place around where I'm thinking that now fits any of the facts is Vindabona, but I thought I'd seen pretty much all of the Roman remains there. Was there perhaps something in the Wienerwald that had never been brought to my attention?

The habit of reconstructing Gallo-Roman temples strikes me as more Germanic than most other parts of Europe. I am not sure of the camera angle and although the image looks totally wrong for it how about somewhere in Germany like Martberg?

@GhostofClayton ...you are correct it is also not Virunum, and certainly not Vindobona, and no its also not in or near the Wienerwald (vienna woods)

@Melvadius you are correct that this is a reconstructed gallo roman temple i added another photo, and no its not Martberg

subidubidu2.jpg

...as this was celtic land can be seen on the many celtic coins that have been found in that area...

subidubidu3.jpg

Should we be looking at the French side of the Alps or possibly NW Italy then? :unsure:

Is it in Slovenia ?

Thanks for the clues - found some interesting internet sites to help me with my crash course in ancient history :rolleyes:

In that case it must be the "recently set up temple "Herkulaneum" at the archaeological site Gurina in the community Dellach (Gailtal), district Hermagor, Carinthia, Austria"

Melvadius, I'm utterly humbled.

Thanks folks but it was all down to pure bl**dy mindedness and all too many searches. Here's next:

post-3948-0-54715900-1304955852_thumb.jpg