UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Hannibal: Rome's Worst Nightmare

lordofwar

Has anyone seen the BBC's 2006 TV movie/ documentary starring Alexander Siddig as Hannibal?

Here are some clips

Battle of Cannae

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGwfvAa6FtA

Battle of Zama

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0_ZKw03PCg

I saw a repeat of this show on UKTV History a few weeks back. It was okay, although the Romans were demonised somewhat to make Hannibal look like the hero. It did keep to the basic outline of Hannibal's story, although like the Ancient Rome series that aired on the BBC a few months back; Many details were altered or exaggerated for dramatic purposes.

I see that they have at least made an attempt at making (some) of the costumes historically correct.

I seemed to have missed this show, but from the clips it looks like it might be worth watching, I liked the way that Hannibal was narrating over the action, all cool, calm and collected instead of the usual screams and shouts and clash of weapons, it was different, I'll keep a look out for any repeats.

For a man who grew up in the army, he sure looks puny... ^_^

Im sad that they didnt show the initial "clashing" of the shields. The unity and size of the Roman cheers must have been deafening and horrifying to the far less unified Hannibalic army.

But anyway, that was great. Awesome detail, they even gave Roman armor to the Libyans since they acquired it during the previous battles.

Edited by Divi Filius

• 1 month later...