UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Translations please

On my trip to Rome I took these pictures, would somebody be kind enough to translate them please.

The first one was taken in the square outside the Pantheon.

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?automo...si&img=1640

The second was in the entrance to the Pantheon.

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?automo...si&img=1641

The third was on the Temple of Julius Caesar.

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?automo...si&img=1659.

Thanks.

Hmm...first one and third one looks odd, I think they are Italian inscriptions from the Renaissance or some other period, because the Latin doesn't look right, more like early Italian. Actually, they are excerpts from some Italian well-knowns. I'm pretty sure you can find online translation for those.

For the second one,it is latin, but oddly put together for an inscription. I'm not good at inscriptions, so don't trust me:

To the Blessed Ninth Pontifex Maximus

To the Most Noble and Most Magnificient Chief

To the Founder of the Good Arts(Science, Art, Philos..etc)

Which the house ?of the designate place?

To the left occupied Temple Chamber and Open Space of the Pantheon

Displayed a Public Work through Camillus Iacobin

Redeemed/Renovated and is maded even/equal

He has/will have provided for this beautiful decoration of the temple of the city

College of Skilled Experts by the divine/Divo[actual name] Luke

The translation above is mess...but to clarify what I have learned...basically, the inscription you took a picture of is actually NeoLatin, meaning it's not classical. Apparently, some Italian guy destroyed a section of land to the left of the Pantheon under Pope PIus.

Basically my friend, all your selections is not actual Latin nor from the Roman period.

At least I think so.

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

First: "In this hotel 'del Sole', previously [called] Montone, was lodged Ludovico Ariosto in March and April 1513", followed by a quotation from his works.

Third: Quote from Appian's Civil War: "they placed it [Caesar's bier] again in the forum where stands the ancient palace of the kings of Rome. There they collected together pieces of wood and benches, of which there were many in the forum, and anything else they could find of that sort, for a funeral pile, throwing on it the adornments of the procession, some of which were very costly. Some of them cast their own crowns upon it and many military gifts. Then they set fire to it, and the entire people remained by the funeral pile throughout the night. There an altar was first erected, but now there stands the temple of Caesar himself, as he was deemed worthy of divine honours".

Thanks very much for taking the time to translate the pic's FVC and Maladict, I knew the third was from Appian's civil war and was relating to the cremation of Caesar but to what it said exactly I didn't know, the first two were not quite what I was expecting but at least it gave you a chance to practise your latin :)

Thanks.

Thanks very much for taking the time to translate the pic's FVC and Maladict, I knew the third was from Appian's civil war and was relating to the cremation of Caesar but to what it said exactly I didn't know, the first two were not quite what I was expecting but at least it gave you a chance to practise your latin :)

Thanks.

You're welcome. Were you expecting anything in particular?

Thanks.

You're welcome. Were you expecting anything in particular?

Oh I don't know! I suppose just something a bit more exciting than than the pope telling some bloke to pull down a few of houses. :)