UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Latin tragedy

M. Porcius Cato

The Roman tragedian Lucius Accius, a municipal freedman and friend of D. Junius Brutus Callaicus (cos 138), has been credited with 40 Latin tragedies. Although many of these were based on Greek originals that were popular in Rome, others were wholly Roman, including Brutus, which dramatized the tyranny of L. Tarquinius Superbus and Aeneadae vel Decius, which centered on the defeat of the Gallo-Etrucso-Samnite alliance at Sentinum.

Apparently, some fragments of Accius still exist. Has anyone found them?

C.B. Earp wrote a dissertation in 1939 for Columbia University titled: A Study of the Fragments of Three Related Plays of Accius, based on reconstruction from fragments of: Achilles, Mymidones, and Epinausimache. I am presuming (correctly, I hope) that Earp may have been working from the actual fragments of Accius' plays. You may want to pursue that road, if you're looking for information on existing fragments.

Unfortunately, Columbia's participation in the downloadable Digital Dissertations program only includes full text dissertations published from 1997 onwards. You may have to contact Columbia directly, or through the interlibrary loan program of your public or university library.

-- Nephele

Thanks for the pointers. A nice entry on Lucius Accius here. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate an on-line source of Accius material (yet), but I'm sure we're all familiar with one line of his: Oderint dum metuant.

"Let them hate us, as long as they fear us

This was a favorite saying of Caligula, and funnily enough nothing to do with Rome but David Beckham the football icon has just had the latin Quote Incorporated into one of his many tattoo's.

• 1 month later...
The Roman tragedian Lucius Accius, a municipal freedman and friend of D. Junius Brutus Callaicus (cos 138), has been credited with 40 Latin tragedies. Although many of these were based on Greek originals that were popular in Rome, others were wholly Roman, including Brutus, which dramatized the tyranny of L. Tarquinius Superbus and Aeneadae vel Decius, which centered on the defeat of the Gallo-Etrucso-Samnite alliance at Sentinum.

If you are looking for the original fragments in latin you can find them on latin wikipedia, they are reliable, I have checked most of them on my own textbook.