UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Vision & Eyeglasses

Primus Pilus

As most everyone here can attest (personal use, family, friends, etc.), the use of eyeglasses or contacts is a common occurrence (perhaps more common than not) in the modern world. We might expect that this would be a symptom of a population with an advancing average age, but any of us can identify children, young adults, etc. with corrected vision.

After digging around a bit in Pliny, I was unable to come up with anything on vision issues from a Roman perspective. I assume that this must have been an issue for ancient people as much as modern. Or perhaps did diet and environment lend itself to different circumstance regarding the health of the eyes? It would seem to me that as many people there are today that need correction for their vision, it must have been a terrible issue for ancient people. Since eyeglasses were not invented until the 14th or 15th centuries, did the "blind" line the streets of ancient cities, or did the resourceful Romans have other methods of coping?

There is some archaelogical evidence that 'snow goggles' were in use by Eskimos in the first century AD, but as for glasses there is no mention of any device to improve sight before the 14th century. According to the 17th century writer Roberto Dati, eye-glasses were invented by Alessandro Spina a monk and scientist who lived in Pisa. Dati then confuses his readers by claiming that some unknown man invented glasses and that Spina copied the technique.

As for eye problems in the ancient world, I can't say much, but the blind do feature prominently among the healed by Jesus Christ in the new Testament; which might go to show that in some cases, eye problems were quite common in the ancient world. Professor Robert Winston, a biologist and famous tv presenter (who himself wears glasses) discussed how terrible it must have been to our ancient ancestors to live without sight. He said that in the ancient world eyesight trouble wouldn't hae just been an incovenience, it might have been a matter between life and death. This might be especially true during the stone age.

The Roman physician Galen did speak of a technique he used to rid people of cataracts. A needle would be forced into the afflicted's eyeball, where it was used to tear the cataract and fold it over so that it would no longer obstruct the person's view. Some of these eye needles have been discovered in doctor's graves in Italy.

I remember reading something about agrarian populations having many more people colour blind then pastoral ones. The explanation was that the harsh conditions of pastoral life eliminated the colour blind people from the gene pool. Maybe even for a young roman been unable to spot a flying pilum would reduce the chances of having offspring.

I believe that the lifestyle put much less pressure on eyes then it does for somebody today. No TV, video games, working on computer and much less reading. Less chances of destroying the eyes.

In a book (My Name is Black - O. Pamuk) about ottoman miniaturists of XVI C blindness it's seen as faith of all of them because of the stress put on eyes by the job.

In a book (My Name is Black - O. Pamuk) about ottoman miniaturists of XVI C blindness it's seen as faith of all of them because of the stress put on eyes by the job.

I suppose the same could be said for Roman scholars and writers. Afterall, many of the Roman texts have very small writing that has no punctuation or gaps between words. Having to write several scrolls like that in darkened rooms by lamp light must have taken its toll on some Roman's eyes.

Its important to realise that modern eyesight is not so good in general. Nature works on the principle of survival of the fittest. Since we now extend the life of people with poor eyesight by artificial enhancement these characteristics are passed on to their descendants. Thats the trade-off in civilisation. Eyesight in times past was better than ours, although old age and disease might still take its toll. Back then of course it was a big deal because unless you were wealthy there was little to be done. Usually in older societies like Rome you see a certain amount of charity or social care on an informal or family basis. However, in many cases, you would indeed see blind men by the roadside begging for coins.

I believe that the lifestyle put much less pressure on eyes then it does for somebody today. No TV, video games, working on computer and much less reading. Less chances of destroying the eyes.

I agree. We know that close work is esophoric, which distorts the shape of the lens and has the effect of myopia. Still one wonders what prodigious readers like Varro did to help him in advancing age.