UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Text reveals more ancient secrets

Experts are "lost for words" to have found that a medieval prayer book has yielded yet another key ancient text buried within its parchment.

Works by mathematician Archimedes and the politician Hyperides had already been found buried within the book, known as the Archimedes Palimpsest.

But now advanced imaging technology has revealed a third text - a commentary on the philosopher Aristotle...

BBC

How exciting! :pokey:

And how it makes me shudder to read what some medieval monks might have been doing on a regular basis to ancient texts in order to produce their prayer books: "You take books off shelves, you scrub off the text, you cut them up and you make a new book." :lol:

-- Nephele

One might ask who erased Aristotle in the first instance? Might there not have been copies of the other books in the monastery? The monk was certainly no ignorant itinerant beggar. Aristotle was, and is, a pagan 'saint' of the Church - Aristotelian/Thomistic logic.

And how it makes me shudder to read what some medieval monks might have been doing on a regular basis to ancient texts in order to produce their prayer books: "You take books off shelves, you scrub off the text, you cut them up and you make a new book." ;)

I'm right there with you! However, I guess it's a little better than complete destruction? :naughty:

And how it makes me shudder to read what some medieval monks might have been doing on a regular basis to ancient texts in order to produce their prayer books: "You take books off shelves, you scrub off the text, you cut them up and you make a new book." :lightbulb:

I'm right there with you! However, I guess it's a little better than complete destruction? :thumbsup:

I guess so! Although I don

Edited by Nephele

G.O., as for the possibility of there having been other copies of these texts lying around somewhere in the monastery... Considering how dear this parchment must have been (for the monks to be recycling it like this), I can
Edited by Gaius Octavius

G.O., as for the possibility of there having been other copies of these texts lying around somewhere in the monastery... Considering how dear this parchment must have been (for the monks to be recycling it like this), I can