UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you all...again! I should be picked up shortly to go home...be it by American Airlines or my own power, I will be flying home soon.

Oh, and should any of you find yourself coming off an adrenaline rush, and you need to stay awake...walk into a boutique shop and buy yourself some cute stuff...and follow that by going to a sushi restaurant and flirting with the general manager ;):unsure:

I'm ready to go now!

Edited by docoflove1974

In case anyone failed to notice, the Triumviri have conferred upon the doc the title of Magistra - master, or teacher - as is befitting her accomplishments.

Nephele has been visting the forum jeweler, Natasha, to bargain for some fine gemstones to set in a silver diadem for the Magistra to wear. The gemstones carefully chosen for the Magistra, of course, had to have anagrammatical significance (for good vibes). So Nephele selected three types of gems named by Pliny in his Natural History, whose names can be found among the letters of the Magistra's name.

First gem for the Magistra (because Nephele knows she likes the color purple) is the anteros, a lovely variety of amethyst. Second gem selected for the Magistra is the star-like asteria. Third gem is the atiz

First...I am honored by the title. Really...thank you very much.

Nephele...you are a dream. My favorite color is actually red, but purple is a very close second, and the trio you have chosen sound stunning. Asteria in particular would be one I'd love to see...like a white star! Perhaps a type of diamond?

You guys rock. And that's not just the lack of sleep, long plane ride, and tons of kitty love (I practically got tackled by my 8 pound cat when I came home) talking.

A very fitting new title for you, Magistra! And a decree has been passed allowing you to wear your diadem whenever you enter the Forum. I will drop a line to one or two provincial governors to see if we can erect a little temple or two to your greatness. Perhaps Nephele can suggest a suitable divine name under which we can worship you at these shrines. :D

Perhaps Nephele can suggest a suitable divine name under which we can worship you at these shrines. :D

I shall give it my utmost attention! (Although right now I'm about to head off on a book-shopping expedition in NYC, to check out some old independent bookstores that haven't yet been swallowed up by Borders Books and B&N.)

I'm still circulating my petition to bestow the title of "Artifex Achitecturae" upon Northern Neil (Andrew Dalby gave it his thumbs-up for its alliteration.)

And, while haggling over gemstone prices with the lovely Natasha (I'm a good haggler!), I managed to secure an especially eye-catching jewel for you, dear Augusta. You deserve the gemstone known as taos, described by Pliny as "a stone with colours like those of a peacock", as its letters can be found within your own name, thus making it an anagrammatically correct jewel for you. (For good vibes!) :D *Nephele pins the scintillating taos, in gold setting, in The Augusta's hair.*

-- Nephele

These individualized titles are obviously meant as little more than gentle tokens of affection and respect for outstanding members. Nonetheless we try to use them as sparingly as possible....

Even so, Ursus - I am in agreement with our new Magistra and Nephele that Northern Neil should be given some recognition for his expertise in architectural reconstruction. :D I mean - could any of us do what he does with those gorgeous models? :D As for yourself - if you are not our pater patriae I don't know who is!

I've leave that title to one of the founding Three members. I am but their humble servant.

As for Artifex Achitecturae, I have been busy lately and must have missed something. Where exactly are these architectural landmarks .... ?

As for Artifex Achitecturae, I have been busy lately and must have missed something. Where exactly are these architectural landmarks .... ?

Ah, you've been missing a treat! Pertinax has posted some of NN's creations in the Gallery, in his "UK UNRV" folder. And NN has pics of his miniature village, "HOMVNCVLVM" posted in the Gallery, as well.

In addition to entertaining us with pics of his amazing miniatures of ancient Roman buildings, NN has also done this board a unique service by advising others (both board members and casual visitors, too, I believe) on how to overcome difficulties in their own attempts to construct Roman miniatures. Here's one such link.

If I'm not being too presumptuous :( ...I've made a motion for NN to receive his title of "Artifex Architecturae" (Master Craftsman of Architecture). Looks like my motion has been seconded by a few members (Andrew Dalby, DocofLove, and The Augusta). Heheh. :D

-- Nephele

Perhaps Nephele can suggest a suitable divine name under which we can worship you at these shrines. :D

As promised, here is a choice of two divine names for the Magistra, anagrammed from her first/middle/last names:

Ambrozhea Altarshine

or

Ariahnah Stormblaeze

Ambrozhea - alternate spelling of "Ambrosia", the name of one of the Hyades, nymphs who were placed among the stars (Hyginus, Poetic Astronomy 2.21).

Ariahnah - alternate spelling of "Ariana", meaning "silver" and derived from the name of Arianrhod, Welsh goddess of the moon.

So, Magistra, are you a starry Greek goddess with a shining altar (Ambrozhea Altarshine) or a tempestuous Welsh moon goddess (Ariahnah Stormblaeze)?

-- Nephele