UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Remnants of Washington's house found near Liberty Bell

Archeologists digging at a site where George Washington and his slaves once lived have unearthed portions of the president's house, a "long-shot" discovery that is already changing ideas about how the house was built.

Officials from Independence National Historical Park and the city announced Wednesday that a section of the kitchen wall as well the foundation walls from the main house had been unearthed at the site, about a block from Independence Mall...

CentreDaily

I posted this relatively obscure piece of archaeological news simply as evidence of political correctness run amok.

I am puzzled, Primus - the political correctness part of this story eludes me.

I posted this relatively obscure piece of archaeological news simply as evidence of political correctness run amok.

It's an American thing. The repeated mention of Washington's slaves carrying equal importance with the nation's first president and symbol of our fledgling Republic, yet no other workers, residents or ancillary characters receive a mention.

It's an American thing. The repeated mention of Washington's slaves carrying equal importance with the nation's first president and symbol of our fledgling Republic, yet no other workers, residents or ancillary characters receive a mention.

It's also "an American thing" to notice the contradictions of democracy. It takes nothing away from the greatness of George Washington to investigate the lives of his slaves. The newly-signed Constitution proclaimed " all men are created equal" and here we have the highest office holder of the new republic a slave master. Many of us in Philadelphia look forward to what the archaeologist will tell us about Washington's enslaved chefs and cooks. We are almost 50% African American and it's high time our story be told, especially when it took place within the walls our first president's Philadelphia White House.

It's also "an American thing" to notice the contradictions of democracy. It takes nothing away from the greatness of George Washington to investigate the lives of his slaves. The newly-signed Constitution proclaimed " all men are created equal" and here we have the highest office holder of the new republic a slave master. Many of us in Philadelphia look forward to what the archaeologist will tell us about Washington's enslaved chefs and cooks. We are almost 50% African American and it's high time our story be told, especially when it took place within the walls our first president's Philadelphia White House.

You missed my point entirely. Alas.

Ahh yes - I understand. Until fairly recently, it was trendy in some quarters to refer to 'Black' soldiers on Hadrian's Wall. Since the rise of Al - quaeda and militant Islam in the UK, once more it is now being stressed that these African and Levantine units were Arabs. It is a shame that bona-fide historians sometimes alter or invent information in order to aggrandise ethnic minorities in an attempt at inclusiveness or even appeasement. And I'm pretty sure that the minorities themselves, with a history of their own to be proud of, feel slightly patronised.

Ahh yes - I understand. Until fairly recently, it was trendy in some quarters to refer to 'Black' soldiers on Hadrian's Wall. Since the rise of Al - quaeda and militant Islam in the UK, once more it is now being stressed that these African and Levantine units were Arabs. It is a shame that bona-fide historians sometimes alter or invent information in order to aggrandise ethnic minorities in an attempt at inclusiveness or even appeasement. And I'm pretty sure that the minorities themselves, with a history of their own to be proud of, feel slightly patronised.

At the Philadelphia site of the first White House what is being "altered or invented" by archaeologists about Washington's slaves?

Edited by Ludovicus

At the Philadelphia site of the first White House what is being "altered or invented" by archaeologists about Washington's slaves?

I think what is happening is that undue emphasis is being placed on the status of Washington's slaves, implying that they had a certain status and a degree of emancipation - at least within the household. As Primus says, other free functionaries would have been present also, but they don't get a mention. I must say, I agree with Primus that a somewhat PC agenda is is being followeed here.

I think what is happening is that undue emphasis is being placed on the status of Washington's slaves, implying that they had a certain status and a degree of emancipation - at least within the household. As Primus says, other free functionaries would have been present also, but they don't get a mention. I must say, I agree with Primus that a somewhat PC agenda is is being followeed here.

And I'm sure that has much to do with the similar topic in recent (at least 10) years with Jefferson's slaves. I'm sure there are those who are trying to figure out if the other Founding Fathers held the same beliefs.