UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

King Herod's ancient tomb 'found'

An Israeli archaeologist says he has found the tomb of King Herod, the ruler of Judea while it was under Roman administration in the first century BC.

After a search of more than 30 years, Ehud Netzer of the Hebrew University says he has located the tomb at Herodium, a site south of Jerusalem.

more at BBC

I hope we can get some more information on this one, could turn out really interesting. I'm in a habit of doubting sensational finds normally.

An Israeli archaeologist says he has found the tomb of King Herod, the ruler of Judea while it was under Roman administration in the first century BC.

After a search of more than 30 years, Ehud Netzer of the Hebrew University says he has located the tomb at Herodium, a site south of Jerusalem.

more at BBC

My fantasy: after many grueling months of excavation and recovery, archaeologists announce they've found the complete and unabridged works of Polybius. That might raise a few eyebrows.

more at BBC

My fantasy: after many grueling months of excavation and recovery, archaeologists announce they've found the complete and unabridged works of Polybius. That might raise a few eyebrows.

Now that would be great. After all, they found the Dead Sea Scrolls in a cave, so who knows what other ancient texts remain to be found somewhere in the deserts of Israel. They have numerous examples of written letters, books, poems etc in Egypt (amongst them the oldest surviving copy of Homer's Illiad) so they might make a similar discovery there.

Ingsoc,

Thanks loads for those excellent snaps! Fascinating material.

I would imagine the life of an archeologist is one of months or years of tedious hard work followed by the ecstasy of hitting "pay dirt." I would also guess that you'd need a strong back and be able to sacrifice numerous creature comforts. All in all, I think I prefer my "soft" accounting position but I'll tip my hat to all those men and women who labor under the hot sun and breath in dust and dirt to uncover the past.

Love your nym by the way.

PAX.