UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Towns Built With Astronomy

Ancient Romans built their towns using astronomically aligned grids, an Italian study has concluded.

Published recently on the physics Web site, www.arXiv.org, maintained at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, the research examined the orientation of virtually all Roman towns in Italy.

"It emerged that these towns were not laid out at random. On the contrary, they were planned following strong symbolic aspects, all linked to astronomy," Giulio Magli, of the mathematics department at Milan

Ancient Romans built their towns using astronomically aligned grids, an Italian study has concluded.

Published recently on the physics Web site, www.arXiv.org, maintained at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, the research examined the orientation of virtually all Roman towns in Italy.

"It emerged that these towns were not laid out at random. On the contrary, they were planned following strong symbolic aspects, all linked to astronomy," Giulio Magli, of the mathematics department at Milan

I'm a bit hesistant over claims like this. It is true that roman civic planning favoured a north/south aligned grid and that town layouts are remarkably similar. This is more to do with roman aspirations then astronomy I think. The concept of polis, or the city state, is fundamental to the success of roman urbanisation. Each city is rewarded for achievement with patronage, honours, etc, and there was some considerable rivalry between them (even to the point of violence, as shown by Nuceria vs Pompeii). The city serves as an administrative and financial center for a region in lieu of direct control, which could never fully be trusted if the area is either successful or a failure. It made sense for towns to be essentially similar. Visitors would then know where to find goods and services, it maintained roman culture, and provided consistent examples of roman life to neighbouring regions. The roman talent for order and organisation would do nothing else I think.

Would a sense of familiarity not come into play here then. Once the troops move from one area to another or indeed the civilians or whoever then the buildings are built to a standard so as to make places seem like a home from home.

It may be more complex than that but astronomy? I don't really think so. I can understand the complications of building huge cities and towns all over the known Roman world then would be enormous and extremely time consuming if they had to get it right every time. The Egyptians and other races I can totally accept becuse it has been proven. Rome and the likes? Not really!! I remain sceptical of that one I'm afraid... until PROVEN wrong!!