UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Comedians... your favorite(s)

George Carlin is one of the few people that can leave me gasping for breath.

"Pre-suck my genital condition!" Classic.

You see, Ursus - I find this as funny as a cattle prod through the breast. I really do miss the mark with some of this modern humour.

This is a lighthearted topic, and it

I am also a fan of The Big Yin (Billy Connolly), who has an infectious style and merely observes human nature - one of the funniest things around.

Oh Lordy...how did I keep him off my list?? I have a ton of mp3s of his work...duh!

I love his version of how golf was invented...if you can find it, it's so damn funny, complete with appropriate accent, of course!

Gaius Suetonius Tranquillus.

Here comes De Vita XII Caesarum, Tiberius, Ch. LXVIII:

"...articulis ita firmis, ut recens et integrum malum digito terebraret, caput pueri vel etiam adulescentis talitro vulneraret."

"...its joints were so powerful that he could bore through a fresh, sound apple with his finger, and break the head of a boy, or even a young man, with a fillip. "

Here comes ibid,Caius, Ch. L:

"... capillo raro at circa verticem nullo, hirsutus cetera. Quare transeunte eo prospicere ex superiore parte aut omnino quacumque de causa capram nominare, criminosum et exitiale habebatur."

"... his hair thin and entirely gone on the top of his head, though his body was hairy. Because of this to look upon him from a higher place as he passed by, or for any reason whatever to mention a goat, was treated as a capital offence. ."

And here comes Divus Claudius, Ch. XXX:

"Auctoritas dignitasque formae non defuit ei, verum stanti vel sedenti ac praecipue quiescenti,"

"He possessed majesty and dignity of appearance, but only when he was standing still or sitting, and especially when he was lying down;"