UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Slight concern for our old friend

Well the book has to be concise seeing that it covers 607 years of history in just over 500 pages. If you would like a book that is just as detailed, but written in less of an over-indulgent manner, I would recommend The Roman Republic by Michael Crawford. I must warn you however; its bare-bones style essentially makes it a reference book.

I have one called 'Ancient Rome - The Republic' by H.L.Havell. It was published in 1914, but at a little over three quid in the local book clearance store I couldn't resist it. It is very readable despite the almost Victorian prose.

WW, thanks. Nonetheless, I'll finish that bloody monster if it takes what little is left of the rest of my life. We Romans are like that.

-------------------------

'Ancient Rome - The Republic' by H.L.Havell. I have this baby. And NO, you wise guys, I didn't buy it upon original publication. Truth be told, I haven't read it.

B)

Edited by Gaius Octavius

I have one called 'Ancient Rome - The Republic' by H.L.Havell. It was published in 1914, but at a little over three quid in the local book clearance store I couldn't resist it. It is very readable despite the almost Victorian prose.

I've read that title and enjoyed it. The language was difficult at first, but then I got used to it.

Welcome Back Gaius!!

Yes - welcome back Gaius. Your Auntie Liv has been worried about you, ya know! You know I take my materfamilias duties very seriously. Now please do not disappear again without my written permission. Thank you. ;)

Ah ha the Lorde of Adderse Blackke is Backke. Yo my homey. Is that correct vernacular?

The Pater Arcanae is pleased to be back with his good friends once again. But, he has been thinking about another one who is missing. I have his name on the tip of my tounge, but am missig it. He hails from the U.S. Northwest or Alaska. The last time we heard from him, he was off to the inferno of Iraq. Hope that he is well.

N.B. I try very hard not to forget the blunders of My Lord of the Weeds.