UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Mysteries TV series

You might be interested to know that the Roman Mysteries TV series (based on my books) is due to 'reboot' in the UK on BBC1 on Tuesdays at 4.30pm from 19 June, starting from the first episode, The Secrets of Vesuvius, and running for nine more half-hour episodes, ten in all.

(You may or may not know it was suspended for a few weeks due to sensitivity about the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.)

Some interesting facts about the series:

- it cost

Any idea when Romanophiles across the pond will have a chance to watch?

It's definately not on the BBC America schedule. I will admit to being a curmudgeon and generally don't like television/films with children playing the lead roles, but once available I will give every effort to watch with unbiased sensibilities. :rolleyes:

However, I have recently ordered the first two books and will introduce them to my nearly 7 year old son shortly. I just hope they aren't too heady for him... he often prefers "goofier" reading material.

However, I have recently ordered the first two books and will introduce them to my nearly 7 year old son shortly. I just hope they aren't too heady for him... he often prefers "goofier" reading material.

There's delightful goofiness, too, in the books, Primus -- but even the goofiness is edifying. Wait till your son gets to the bit about sponge sticks, and what the ancient Romans used them for.

-- Nephele

Salvete, omnes!

No idea when or if it will be on over there, but things are hopeful as the BBC has just commissioned a second series. That means it may well appear on DVD in a year or so...

Valete.

Flavia

Hi Caroline and welcome to UNRV,

I'm so glad that they are going top reboot the show, I'd been watching it with my daughter and we thought it was excellent, but then it just disappeared with no explanation (thanks for clearing that up) I suppose in light of what's being going on it was probably the right thing to do.

I've also been reading your books to my daughter, she is only 5yrs old and I thought they might be a bit too advanced for her but she seems to understand the storyline and is enjoying it, she's developed an interest in a Rome thanks to your books, and with the TV series coming along as well it has really helped her to understand things a bit better.

GPM

Hi Gaius!

Great to know you're reading my books to your daughter but 5 is a bit young! I get into some pretty adult topics -- adultery, child abandonment, child abduction (!) -- and I also try not to pull my punches too much, especially in the arena. You can see what a bunch of 7th graders from Vancouver thought of my 7th and 8th books HERE. Some of them loved the gore, others were put off. And they are 12 and 13...

Just so you know. :)

Vale.

Flavia