UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Corn

docoflove1974

In a couple of threads on here (most recently, the Plebian unrest thread) there's mention of corn as a staple grain. I was under the impression that corn was not introduced to Eurasia until after the Spaniards came to the Americas. Is this not true? Was another variety of corn known to Europe and/or Asia well before this?

In a couple of threads on here (most recently, the Plebian unrest thread) there's mention of corn as a staple grain. I was under the impression that corn was not introduced to Eurasia until after the Spaniards came to the Americas. Is this not true? Was another variety of corn known to Europe and/or Asia well before this?

To everybody else other than us Americans 'corn' is the common name for the kernel of any grain (wheat, barley, spelt, etc...) and is not to be confused with what we (only) call corn; i.e. maize.

Ooooooooooooooooooh...yikes...America-centric thinking coming into play again. :shocking:

Now that has me puzzled...here in the US (and I guess Canada), 'maize' isn't really used, unless perhaps specifically referring to a given type of corn. Was the name 'corn' always used in English for any large-kerneled grain, or only to 'maize'?

The "corn dole" is unequivocally a grain dole. I wonder if the etymology is driven by the relative importance of the staple in the native economy? The term "cash" for example is , I believe , a reference to a denomination of Chinese coin which was obselete by the start of the 20th C CE , but reatained a huge weight of cultural significance thereafter.Did the Native American peoples use maize as their foremost (grown) vegetable staple?

Did the Native American peoples use maize as their foremost (grown) vegetable staple?

I believe that in most cases the answer is an unequivocal 'yes'.

{Also, I remember from my North American archaeology class in college that it's widespread adoption as the staple crop in North America coincided with a severe decline in the dental health of skeletal remains in the corresponding archaeological record... Hmmmm, high fructose corn syrup anyone?}

Did the Native American peoples use maize as their foremost (grown) vegetable staple?

I believe that in most cases the answer is an unequivocal 'yes'.

It was definitely the predominant grain/starch staple for North and Central America; in South America potatos (regular, not sweet) have historically been the #1 starch staple.

Perhaps AD can enlighten us regarding the folk usage of the word "corn" , maybe we have a straightforward adoption of the commonly understood word for "staple" for that staple indigenous to a given place?

Perhaps AD can enlighten us regarding the folk usage of the word "corn" , maybe we have a straightforward adoption of the commonly understood word for "staple" for that staple indigenous to a given place?

As I understand it -- I'm open to correction! -- one of the many, many names devised by Europeans for this new crop from North America was "Indian corn": Indian because, ever since Columbus's little mistake, the great American continent and associated islands were alternatively known as the "Indies"; corn because it was a crop which could be compared with the corn (wheat or barley) of the Old World. Then, in due course, "Indian corn" became such an everyday item among the settlers of North America that its name got shortened to "corn".

That depends where and when. In Mesoamerica corn, beans, and squash were the foremost crops. In Eastern North America, things like sunflower, squash, and goosefoot were grown. Corn and beans eventually found their way into Eastern North America and became major crops after 900 AD.

• 1 month later...

Just a little addendum here on Roman Grain types. They did grow mainly wheat where possible, keeps well, crops heavily, makes nice bread etc. However, they also grew Spelt and barley according the soil and climate types locally. Spelt makes a a very rough bread as (and this is if memory serves me correctly so don't sue me if I am wrong!) the grain cannot be husked. Spelt was grown as an emergency crop.

Try this for a taster, you can still buy Spelt flour in Wholefood shops

Roman Army Bread Recipe

1 pounds Spelt flour

1 teaspoon Salt

3 tablespoon Olive oil

15 gram Fresh yeast

400 millilitre Warm water (35-40C)

1 teaspoon Honey

enjoy

Salve, D!

This comes from the Online Etimology Dictionary (D. Harper, 2001)

"CORN:

"grain," Old English corn, from Proto-Germanic. *kurnam "small seed," from Proto-Indo-European base *ger- "wear away" (Old Slavish zruno "grain," Sanskrit jr- "to wear down," Latin granum). The sense of the Old English word was "grain with the seed still in" rather than a particular plant. Locally understood to denote the leading crop of a district. Restricted to corn on the cob in America (originally Indian corn, but the adjective was dropped), usually wheat in England, oats in Scotland and Ireland, while korn means "rye" in parts of Germany. Introduced to China by 1550, it thrived where rice did not grow well and was a significant factor in the 18th century population boom there. Cornflakes first recorded 1907. Corned beef so called for the "corns" or grains of salt with which it is preserved. Cornrows as a hair style is first recorded 1971. Corny "old-fashioned" is American English (1932); originally, "something appealing to country folk.""

I hope this may be useful.

Edited by ASCLEPIADES