UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Coloured flour at Saturnalia?

Flavia Gemina

Salvete, omnes!

I have just received the screenplay adaptation of my book The Twelve Tasks of Flavia Gemina, set during the Saturnalia in AD 79. The screenwriter has Romans throwing coloured flour at one another as part of the Saturnalia festivities!!! :lol: I thought I was familiar with all the elements of the Saturnalia: feasting, dancing, gambling, putting up greenery and lights, giving dolls and other gifts, choosing the 'King'... But this I've never heard of. Is there any evidence at all for this or did he completely make it up?

Look forward to hearing from you...

Flavia

Edited by Flavia Gemina

I don't know if the ancient Romans threw flour at Saturnalia, but do I know that in Brazil during Carnaval it's customary to throw flour at people. It's supposed to be a carry over from medieval All Fools celebrations in Spain. A quick 'net search revealed that they do this in Venice, too, at Carnival time.

I wonder whether the teevee writers might have been assuming that this custom started in ancient Rome? Maybe they're right, but I somehow doubt they have a classicist on their staff. I think they should be talking more to you, Caroline, before they make these little "additions".

-- Nephele

EDIT: Okay, a further search into the beginnings of the flour-throwing custom seems to indicate that it started as a part of the Mardi Gras pre-Lenten celebrations, as in some places the revelers also throw eggs and butter on each other. It goes along with the religious tradition of using up one's eggs, flour, and butter before the start of the solemn observance of Lent, when church members eat simple foods and fast.

In which case, I can't see how any of this could possibly have had any beginnings in ancient Rome. It looks like a strictly Church custom, most likely having its origins in medieval times.

What are those teevee people thinking? :blink:

-- Nephele

Edited by Nephele

These screenwriters are crazy! (said with voice of Obelisk while tapping side of head)

Thanks, Nephele! I can always count on you. Do you want a job as my research assistant? :blink:

Flavia

I don't see anything in Jo-Ann Shelton's As the Romans Did: A Sourcebook on Roman Social History (Oxford Univ Press) on throwing flour. If the screenwriters don't have everyone wearing a freedman's cap though, you can be sure that they're not over-interested in historical authenticity.

...If the screenwriters don't have everyone wearing a freedman's cap though, you can be sure that they're not over-interested in historical authenticity.

I've told the producer about freedman's caps and she like the idea of 'Santa's hat without the fur trim, and in lots of jolly colours...' (my description)

They needed something to toss in the baddies' faces to distract them; that's why they introduced coloured flour. I suggested they hurl pistachio nuts or hot spiced wine instead.

Any other suggestions welcome!

Flavia

...If the screenwriters don't have everyone wearing a freedman's cap though, you can be sure that they're not over-interested in historical authenticity.

I've told the producer about freedman's caps and she like the idea of 'Santa's hat without the fur trim, and in lots of jolly colours...' (my description)

They needed something to toss in the baddies' faces to distract them; that's why they introduced coloured flour. I suggested they hurl pistachio nuts or hot spiced wine instead.

Flavia

How about otter's nose's or wolf's nipple chips!

Flavia

How about otter's nose's or wolf's nipple chips!

Pah! Rich Imperialist tidbits.

Personally I would avoid being hit by hot garum sauce.