UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Place of Three Mountains

caldrail

On a tv program called Countryfile, the presenters talked about a roman fort at Melrose, in Scotland by the river tweed.. Once called Trimontium (Place of Three Mountains) its a typical roman fort and vicus. Something like three or four thousand civilians lived there, with a garrison of up to two thousand. There's even an amphitheatre there, a basic affair consisting of an oval depression in a hillside with evidence of a 'stand', a covered seating area very reminiscent of a football ground, in which rituals and parades were held. The significance is that the local experts say its the most northerly fort of the roman empire. Thats the view of the researchers. Anyone know different?

I've driven through Melrose lots of times and I never knew that Trimontium existed at all, thanks for bringing it to our attention, Caldrail. I'll definitely be stopping off the next time I'm in the area.

The Timontium website is pretty good, it gives all sorts of information on the history of the sites on walks and activities available.

Take a look.

http://www.trimontium.freeserve.co.uk/

On a tv program called Countryfile, the presenters talked about a roman fort at Melrose, in Scotland by the river tweed.. Once called Trimontium (Place of Three Mountains) its a typical roman fort and vicus. Something like three or four thousand civilians lived there, with a garrison of up to two thousand. There's even an amphitheatre there, a basic affair consisting of an oval depression in a hillside with evidence of a 'stand', a covered seating area very reminiscent of a football ground, in which rituals and parades were held. The significance is that the local experts say its the most northerly fort of the roman empire. Thats the view of the researchers. Anyone know different?

Salve, C! That statement is clearly a mistake. Obviously, the Caledonian border was farther to the North than any continental Roman post, but Trimontium was even South to the Antonine Wall. The most septentrional confirmed Roman construction is on Stracathro (Angus) at a latitude of 56

Edited by ASCLEPIADES