UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Graduate School

Nfora

I'm currently entering the final year of my undergraduate studies in Classics at the University of New Brunswick, in Canada; and am beginning to look for an institution at which I can continue my studies. I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions. Currently, my primary interests are in the Roman Republic, generally before the civil wars, and possibly in inscriptions from the same period. My background in Latin, when I complete my undergraduate degree, should be adequate for nearly any program, but I will only have completed two years of Greek. I'd appreciate any suggestions you can give me.

This is probably something an adviser would handle far better. I too will eventually be looking for a good school for grad studies. Right now Im eyeing some UK universities, Edinburgh being in the center at the moment... but time will tell....

I know a couple of Professors who have graduated from Toronto U, but most of them seem to be centered around late Roman studies. I dont know much about the school or why this is so.

As for America:

Michigan at Ann Arbor is a good choice.

Texas at Austin has a strong classical studies program.

There is also Bryn Mawr

Then there are also the top choices: UC Berkeley, Chicago U etc.

Edited by Divi Filius

Given an interest in the late Roman republic, your best bet would be U Cal Berkeley, where you could work with Gruen. Gruen's students have been very successful in landing top academic jobs after finishing their graduate work, and of the top 10 leading scholars on the Roman republic, at least 3 are former students of Gruen.

If Gruen is still at U Berkley by the time Im ready to do grad school, I may seriously consider that school. At the moment my focus seems to be headed towards Late Empire/Antiquity... but if I should get the chance to work with a mind like Gruen then I am more then happy to reconsider.

My main problems come from my GPA and my background in Greek. Because I did not begin my undergraduate studies in the field, I not only had a late start, I also have a number of grades that aren't up to the standard of the rest of my transcript. While in my Classics courses, my GPA may finish somewhere in the vicinity of 3.6-3.8, my cGPA is likely only to be 3.3. In Greek, I expect to get no further than the end of the second book of ATHENAZE: An Introduction to Ancient Greek by Balme and Lawall. While I'd love to study at Berkeley or any of the other top schools, I can't help but feel that applying may be a lost cause. Is it at all common for an American school such as Berkeley, or a top Canadian institution such as the University of Toronto, to admit students into some form of 'bridging year'?

A 'bridging' year is not normal, no. But GPA is not everything; it is coursework, letters of recommendation, GRE scores, and the specific program itself which can all be factors. If your non-Greek Classics GPA is as you say, you might be admitted into a Masters' program; this is particularly true if your letters are strong. So you need to focus on the relationships with your professors.

Another piece of advice: most grad schools require a personal statement. There are usually places on campus which specialize in getting undergrads prepared for grad school, by setting up portfolios and dossiers. Open one up, and then get their advice on personal statements. Use your resources!

There are always other ways to improve your standing in the languages. You can take some summer courses for instance. See local universities for such programs. In NY the local city college system offers intensive summer programs in Greek and Latin. There is also self-study. The head of the classics department recommended both to me as I am starting a bit late.

I have never heard of a bridging year either.