UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Scenes from I, Claudius

The Augusta

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the augusta, I can't see. I'm totally blind, but I'll guess it was a dagger, or did you mean what plan they were going to use? I do remember they were going to see if he wanted something to eat and then they told him his greek balette were there and to come to the front.

No - when Cassius, Asprenas, Sabinus and Vinicius met in the tavern to plan the murder, Cassius gave them a little demonstration on the table of how it would work. He used various implements to illustrate his plan.

I'll see if our Asclepiades can come up with the answer before I put you all out of your misery.

If I remember this scene correctly he first picks up a piece of folded paper from a vessel which signifies the narrow staircase from his seating area at the games, then a grape to show Caligula's position in the corridor and two drinking cups slammed together signifying the slamming of the gates to seal off Caligula and his assassins. I remember it because Cassius then proceeds to eat the grape signifying Caligula's end!! Then he says... "It's as simple as that!!"

I must admit, I haven't watched that bit of the series in a while, but it's all good :lol: .

There's something that has puzzled me about Caligula's early years :huh: .

Do you think he was a degenerate right from the start or was it the influence of Tiberius after he went to stay with him at Capri that finally corrupted him?.

He was a strange child if his portrayal in the series is any to go by :wacko: .

I must admit, I haven't watched that bit of the series in a while, but it's all good :lol: .

There's something that has puzzled me about Caligula's early years :huh: .

Do you think he was a degenerate right from the start or was it the influence of Tiberius after he went to stay with him at Capri that finally corrupted him?.

He was a strange child if his portrayal in the series is any to go by :wacko: .

Salve, DN!

I assume we are talking about the fiction at the Graves/Pullman Universe and not about historical evidence per se.

The sixth episode of the series, "some justice", states clearly (via Martina) the participation of little Caligula on the killing of Germanicus, his own father. Needless to say, all of this happened long before the Capri experience.

This is eventually confirmed by the adult Caligula himself on the ninth episode "Jupiter, by Jove!"

Remember, all of this is fiction.

For a historical discussion, try UNRV.

Edited by ASCLEPIADES

If I remember this scene correctly he first picks up a piece of folded paper from a vessel which signifies the narrow staircase from his seating area at the games, then a grape to show Caligula's position in the corridor and two drinking cups slammed together signifying the slamming of the gates to seal off Caligula and his assassins. I remember it because Cassius then proceeds to eat the grape signifying Caligula's end!! Then he says... "It's as simple as that!!"

Oh, bravo, Augustus! Spot on!

Identify these speakers and the scene. I won't make it easy....

"And what if he refuses?"

"Well I should see that he doesn't if I were you. Appeal to his sense of honour. Men find that irresistible."

Livia to Claudius' sister, forgot her name, Lucilla?

Salve!

The answer is in post #5 of this thread (Aug 2 2007, 01:52 PM); they were Plancina (Piso's wife) and Livia, in that order.

The name of Claudius' sister is Livilla ("little Livia"). with the outstanding performance of the Irish actress Patricia Quinn (later Lady Stephens).

• 2 weeks later...
Hello everyone. It's been awhile since I've been here. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the actresses that played the two Agrippinas? Were they very popular?

Salve, Lady CO!

Here they are; the Internet Movie Database files of:

Fiona Walker (Agrippina Major)

and

Barbara Young (Agrippina Minor).

Personally, I think both Roman ladies were much better looking than their respective actresses.

Thanks for the bios of the both actresses. I will look over them. Wasn't Shiela White the one who played Messalina? Who played Octavia, claudius's daughter? Also, I have another question for you all. When Nero knocks on the door, and Agrippina says who is it? Who was it that responded back to her?

Thanks for the bios of the both actresses. I will look over them. Wasn't Shiela White the one who played Messalina? Who played Octavia, claudius's daughter? Also, I have another question for you all. When Nero knocks on the door, and Agrippina says who is it? Who was it that responded back to her?

Yes, Sheila White played Valeria Messalina.

Cheryl Johnson played Octavia, Claudius' daugther.

I guess it was Nero himself who responded to Agrippinilla.

Pallas was there with her, but he didn't talk until Nero came in.