UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Mummy Was Painted Red With Spanish Lead

Egyptian mummies may be more international than previously thought, as analysis of one such mummy in the Brooklyn Museum's collection has revealed a surprising connection to Spain.

The mummy, named "Demetrios," turns out to have been wrapped in linen that was decorated with red pigment containing lead that originated in Spain, according to the museum.

"We now think the ancient Egyptians made very specific material choices for mummy preparation," Lisa Bruno, the museum's lead object conservator, told Discovery News.

Read more here.

Egyptian mummies may be more international than previously thought, as analysis of one such mummy in the Brooklyn Museum's collection has revealed a surprising connection to Spain.

The mummy, named "Demetrios," turns out to have been wrapped in linen that was decorated with red pigment containing lead that originated in Spain, according to the museum.

"We now think the ancient Egyptians made very specific material choices for mummy preparation," Lisa Bruno, the museum's lead object conservator, told Discovery News.

Read more here.

Unfortunately I don't think we can "read more there" -- that's all folks, unless I missed something! I guess from the fact that his name is Demetrios that this mummy comes from Ptolemaic or Roman times. Well, we already know that in those times Egypt was part of the wider Graeco-Roman world and was definitely on the trade routes.

I believe there could be some doubt about whether Egypt imported Spanish commodities in earlier periods -- so what would be even more interesting would be to find this pigment on earlier mummies.

Salve!

I think this article pinpoints some additional risky exposures to lead toxicity on the Eastern side of the Roman World, namely mummy preparation, pigment handling (maybe including cosmetics) and also its trade (presumably by sea), even when the actual metal source was on the Western half.

Thus, this is a welcome and unexpected contribution to another thread.