UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Best ancient generals

I agree that Cannae stands far above Pharsalus. I guess, despite there being no question to Hannibal's greatness....

In the end...

Alexander didnt lose. He died.

Caesar didn't lose, he was assassinated.

Scipio didn't lose, he was politically disgraced.

Hannibal won many victories, but lost in the end, both for Carthage and for Seleucia (though his role was minor). That doesn't take away from his ability, I just view the entire package as a piece of the overall picture. Had Hannibal truly 'beaten' the Romans, then he would stand far above all in the history of warfare. Had Hannibal known when to force the Romans to peace, he would've extended the life of Carthage, perhaps as much as another few generations. By the time he really tried, the Romans knew he couldn't beat them, even though they couldn't beat him.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that Cannae stands far above Pharsalus. I guess, despite there being no question to Hannibal's greatness....

In the end...

Alexander didnt lose. He died.

Hannibal won many victories, but lost in the end, both for Carthage and for Seleucia (though his role was minor). That doesn't take away from his ability, I just view the entire package as a piece of the overall picture. Had Hannibal truly 'beaten' the Romans, then he would stand far above all in the history of warfare. Had Hannibal known when to force the Romans to peace, he would've extended the life of Carthage, perhaps as much as another few generations. By the time he really tried, the Romans knew he couldn't beat them, even though they couldn't beat him.

fair enough. But even then, winning is not the true greatness of a general. How you win is. But the difference between Hannibal and the generals you named, is that he was the underdog inn most of his battles. And when you read about him, its a wonder that he could last so long against Rome. It is however, true that, in the end Hannibal lost. But I would say that any general, even Ceaser, Alexander, or Scipio, would have also lost, and probably with less results than even Hannibal managed to achieve. Again, winning is not the true mark of greatness, how well you stand up to adversary is. That is why I admire Hannibal's ability as a General. He nearly toppled the greatest civilization that the world has known, with the greatest tactics the world has ever known (e.g. Rommel, Napoleon, and Schwartzkopf are three of many in history who have studied and admired the genius of Hannibal's tactics). In the end, its not truley about winning (if it is that would make Napoleon a lesser general than Wellington), its what he managed to acheive as a general which puts him above all others.

BTW. here's my list

1)Hanninal :)

2) Phyrus

3) Belisarius

4) Ceaser ;)

5)Marcellus

6) Trajan

7)Vespasian

8)Alexander TG

9) Scipio

10) Euyephues (sp?/Thebes)

• 4 weeks later...

I would say Julius Caesar was the best general, his men loved him, and he never lost a battle according to Gaius Suetonius Tranquillus, a Roman Historian. Alexander the Great would come next, mainly because he conquered most of the world. Then, Hannibal, who in some peoples eyes was the greatest because he trained from childhood and won many great battles, one of those destroyed one of Rome's greatest armies.

I agree that Cannae stands far above Pharsalus.  I guess, despite there being no question to Hannibal's greatness.... 

In the end...

Alexander didnt lose.  He died.

Hannibal won many victories, but lost in the end, both for Carthage and for Seleucia (though his role was minor).  That doesn't take away from his ability, I just view the entire package as a piece of the overall picture.  Had Hannibal truly 'beaten' the Romans, then he would stand far above all in the history of warfare.  Had Hannibal known when to force the Romans to peace, he would've extended the life of Carthage, perhaps as much as another few generations.  By the time he really tried, the Romans knew he couldn't beat them, even though they couldn't beat him.

fair enough. But even then, winning is not the true greatness of a general. How you win is. But the difference between Hannibal and the generals you named, is that he was the underdog inn most of his battles. And when you read about him, its a wonder that he could last so long against Rome. It is however, true that, in the end Hannibal lost. But I would say that any general, even Ceaser, Alexander, or Scipio, would have also lost, and probably with less results than even Hannibal managed to achieve. Again, winning is not the true mark of greatness, how well you stand up to adversary is. That is why I admire Hannibal's ability as a General. He nearly toppled the greatest civilization that the world has known, with the greatest tactics the world has ever known (e.g. Rommel, Napoleon, and Schwartzkopf are three of many in history who have studied and admired the genius of Hannibal's tactics). In the end, its not truley about winning (if it is that would make Napoleon a lesser general than Wellington), its what he managed to acheive as a general which puts him above all others.

BTW. here's my list

1)Hanninal :)

2) Phyrus

3) Belisarius

4) Ceaser :)

5)Marcellus

6) Trajan

7)Vespasian

8)Alexander TG

9) Scipio

10) Euyephues (sp?/Thebes)

Nah, Philip II has got to make his way on this list somehow. He was certainly every bit the tactician his son was, and was without a doubt the greater military reformer.

Im back to shed some light on the reasons why caesar was better than hannibal. first of all, yes hannibal was outnumbered but nothing to what caesar faced. Even though the roman army hannibal faced was more organized the gauls had enourmous numbers and Vercingertorix was a very a able commander and against the typical throw away lives roman general, with exceptions to Marius, Sulla, Pompeius, Lucullus, and the new age generals to say, vercingetorix would have won a resounding victory over the roman armies. And mind you that during the time of Hannibal it was only a hundred years or so after the roman conquest of Italy and the Saminite wars, which Carahae, spelling, was very close to, so there was a possiblity of dissention in the ranks. Also it was before the Marius reforms and only the patriicans, and those who could afford to buy military equipment, were in the army as well as members of the Italian League who commonly sent armies to assist rome. In conclusion, a poet, whose name slips my mind as so many things do, made a great remark about Hannibal " Hannibal knew how to get a victory, but not how to use it." Caesar knew how to beat you and how to treat you afterwards, clemency during Italian Civil War with pompeius and how to handle the beaten Gauls. hannibal had rome defenseless, but didn't attack, then a patrician stepped up, you might of heard of him Scipio Africanus and he shadowed hannibal and eventually defeated him at the battle of Zama. In the end Hannibal commited suicide to avoid humilation and acceptance of defeat instead of becoming a prisioner, whereas Caesar was assisinated on that fine March day in the year 44 BC because his glory overshadowed everyone else in roman history, oh and the whole taking over the republic thing had something to do with it. Also Caesar made people commit sucide due to defeat, Cato and example, whereas Hannibal was the one commiting suicide. Point Made.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

here :

Gaius Julius Caesar , Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa , Gaius Julius Octavius ( Augustus - may be not on the battlefield but he is a great man) .

Marcus Ulpius Trajanus .. Hmm i agree with most of names in post here , but i love them more..

p.s - Lucius Cornelius Sulla - hah what do you thing ;) What a name wow

hi guys,which general most inspired his men,ill vote for edward the third.at the battle of Grecy he was out numbered 25000 french to 8000 english and he destroyed them annialating the french aristocracy.a commander who fights in the front line with his men must get more loyalty than stratergists who keep out of the ruff stuff. my un educated opinion.lol..longbow.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Maximus Decimus Meridius

In Order the greatest generals of the ancient world

1. Julius Caesar

2. Flavius Aetius ( Defeated Attila the Hun )

3. Alexander III of Macedon ( Alexander the Great )

4. Hannibal

5. Scipio Africanus

I admit I do not know much about Attila the Hun, but I was under the impression that he was a fairly good general. Anyone have any comments on him? Really all I know about him is the way he struck fear into the hearts of Romans and Barbarians alike and that he did end up conquering a lot of land before he was killed.

Also, this might be a little past your time period, but you cant forget Genghis Khan and also Saladin.

I find it hard to understand why anyone would place Hannibal above P. Cornelius Scipio Africanus! Scipio ran rampant in Spain checkmating the Carthaginians at every encounter with inferior in number forces. He showed his flexibility as a commander by taking Nova Carthago by seige warfare, then defeating Hasdrubal at Illipa in a brilliant manouver. Then he paid Hannibal the compliment by beating him with his own tactics at Zama. Hannibal was a great general, no doubt. But he seems to have been left wanting in the intelligence department for he seriously underestimated just who he was up against. I can just imagine what went through his mind when he received the response to his demands from Rome after Cannae. "WHOOPS"

• 2 weeks later...