UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Breaking Away

Faustus

A warm welcome to UNRV Faustus and VTC (again!)

Faustus, I've just had a look at your website and I thought it was excellent, some great pictures on there, I particularly liked the state property one from 1959......Talk about rebel with out a cause!!

I also liked the Long Hole Quarry one's too, it looks cool but pretty dangerous, would you let your kids or grand kids go swimming there now? I don't think I would! But I'm pretty sure when I was younger I'd have been the first one in too! :unsure:

GPM

Salve GPM

I sent you a pm before I read your reply to my self introduction. That quarry hole is interesting for several reasons unknown to the casual observer. That is the same quarry used in the film "Breaking Away". It was a story about a group of Hoosier kids here in Bloomington, the capital of the limestone industry, who like all who grew up here, spent summer days at the Long Hole Quarry, or at one of the other beautiful edifices to our Roman/Italian heritage spotted around the surrounding area.

The story went something like this. There is a division between Town and Gown in Bloomington, Indiana the seat of Indiana University (Indianensis Universitatis). The Local boys called themselves

Faustus, thank you for that fascinating, personal, behind-the-scenes look into one of my all-time favorite movies, Breaking Away. I have the DVD, and now I'm going to print up what you wrote and keep it with my DVD of that movie.

I don't remember if the origin of the term "Cutters" was explained in the movie as thoroughly as you did here. For some reason, I had gotten the impression that the non-college kids were called "cutters" because "cut" their high school classes. Your explanation gives a historical (and much better) perspective to the term.

Thanks, again! Grazie! :)

-- Nephele

Faustus:

Fascinating post. Thanks for the info. I love Breaking Away. One of the greatest sports movies ever.

G

• 5 weeks later...
Faustus:

Fascinating post. Thanks for the info. I love Breaking Away. One of the greatest sports movies ever.

G

BREAKING AWAY MORPHED INTO A POPULAR BIKE TOUR OF SOUTHERN INDIANA HILLS

And they