UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Pinacotheca

ASCLEPIADES

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Annexing Cyprus as per the lex Clodia (and NOT a lex Julia, as Asclepiades wrongly hinted--tsk tsk),

Here comes The House of Ptolemy by E. R. Bevan (1927), Chapter XII:

In 59 B.C. ... Caesar carried a law, in spite of the opposition of the nobles, by which Ptolemy Auletes was recognized at last as king of Egypt, and, by a new treaty, "ally and friend of the Roman People."

Sequitur

Interesting. I wonder where Bevan got such a funny idea. See HERE for discussion.

Mr Burns from the Simpsons???

C'mon I'm right aren't I???

Hehe - now you're at it, GPM! Must I lecture you all on your hairstyles. This is a classic coin of late Republic/early Principate due to the lady in question sporting the 'nodus' hairstyle.

As a first guess, Ingsoc, I'll go for Octavia, wife of Antony, sister of Augustus.

Hehe - now you're at it, GPM! Must I lecture you all on your hairstyles. This is a classic coin of late Republic/early Principate due to the lady in question sporting the 'nodus' hairstyle.

As a first guess, Ingsoc, I'll go for Octavia, wife of Antony, sister of Augustus.

Wrong, but you are right about the era in which the coin was minted.