UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Most archaeological rich city?

longshotgene

What's that place in England? The old fort where they keep unearthing all those artifacts? I've seen a couple of shows about it on History Channel and the like.

(Yes, I know ... I'm terribly short on facts here. But it's late, I've had a bit to drink. And well, quite simply ... i'm not very bright)

Some of the "richest" places to explore today are those that were formerly part of the Eastern Bloc nations. Only in recent years have many of these sites begun to receive extensive scientific attention and the historical yield could be tremendous. Unfortunately, many sites have been subject to looters and vandals as the archaeological community struggles to keep up, but only time will tell how many great finds are remaining to be unearthed.

What's that place in England? The old fort where they keep unearthing all those artifacts? I've seen a couple of shows about it on History Channel and the like.

Are you thinking of Chesters/Cilurnum?

Not sure. I've seen a couple of shows about this site in England where they found the remains of a Roman fort and this day they keep unearthing more and more artifacts (even letters). I want to say it's on private property and the family that owns the land established their own little museum.

Ring any bells?

Not sure. I've seen a couple of shows about this site in England where they found the remains of a Roman fort and this day they keep unearthing more and more artifacts (even letters). I want to say it's on private property and the family that owns the land established their own little museum.

Ring any bells?

Ahh, probably Vindolanda then.

Ahh, probably Vindolanda then.

Yes! Thank you, Primus!

I loaded quite a few shots with commentary from Vindolanda here:

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?automo...bum=9&st=90

the gallery scrolls into adjacent Wall and near Wall sites (like Cilvurnum as mentioned by PP)>

I loaded quite a few shots with commentary from Vindolanda here:

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?automo...bum=9&st=90

the gallery scrolls into adjacent Wall and near Wall sites (like Cilvurnum as mentioned by PP)>

Wow! Very cool! Thanks, Pertinax!

Naughty naughty Pertinax. People aren't supposed to take pictures of the objects in the cases at Vindolanda. I must admit that the horse armour was hard to resist, as was the many phalic symbols. Still, naughty naughty! P.S.-How do I place photos on here? I have a whole bunch from northern England.

Naughty naughty Pertinax. People aren't supposed to take pictures of the objects in the cases at Vindolanda.

Why is that?

Ps - How far is Vindolanda from London?

Edited by G-Manicus

By train one would travel London-Newcastle , then Newcastle to Haltwhistle.The first part would be perhaps 250 miles , but quite fast ,the second 50-60 miles and rather slow.Or one might get a plane to Manchester and hire a car, a journey of one hundred miles of gloriously beautiful scenery all the way(if its not raining).

Naughty naughty Pertinax. People aren't supposed to take pictures of the objects in the cases at Vindolanda. I must admit that the horse armour was hard to resist, as was the many phalic symbols. Still, naughty naughty! P.S.-How do I place photos on here? I have a whole bunch from northern England.

That is my after dinner chat...I went in the wrong way! I didnt see the "do not " signs till I was leaving by the entrance doors! Also no-one was in the museum at all, I could have died of embarassment , but by then id photographed the whole lot ,every single last item. .