UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Ostia Antica

Ludovicus

I'll be in Rome in October. What are a few sites not to miss when visiting Ostia Antica? It seems like an easy destination from Rome: you take the metro and then the train to the Lido.

I'll be in Rome in October. What are a few sites not to miss when visiting Ostia Antica? It seems like an easy destination from Rome: you take the metro and then the train to the Lido.

Bring a map. Ostia is huge and doesn't have any signs or information panels.

It's not really about specific sites, rather than to be able to walk in a Roman city.

You could compare the experience to Pompeii I guess.

Bring a map. Ostia is huge and doesn't have any signs or information panels.

It's not really about specific sites, rather than to be able to walk in a Roman city.

You could compare the experience to Pompeii I guess.

Thanks so much for the information. Is there a museum of Ostia Antica on site, a place that gives the ancient city's history and perhaps shows a few important mosaics?

Thanks so much for the information. Is there a museum of Ostia Antica on site, a place that gives the ancient city's history and perhaps shows a few important mosaics?

I've been to Ostia several times between 2003 and 2005 but found the museum closed on every occasion. There seems to be a distinct lack of funding, which is also visible in the preservation of the city. That said, it would be a pretty daunting task to pull off, especially given the limited number of visitors. It's a real shame, because Ostia ranks right up there with the best Italy has to offer.

So, although things may have changed in the mean time, you'd better bring along all the information you might need. The mosaics are preserved in situ. And as I said before, bring a good, detailed map. There are many hard to find gems (like the mithraeums, synagogue, imperial palace) that you're likely to miss otherwise.

If you go on a week day, you'll have the place to yourself. If the weather is decent, the Romans will come down from the city in droves to have a picnic in the weekends. Also, check the opening hours: they are usually changed from summer to winter schedule in October. And make sure you're at the gate when it opens, because you'll need a full day to see it all.

Enjoy your trip!

I've been to Ostia several times between 2003 and 2005 but found the museum closed on every occasion. There seems to be a distinct lack of funding, which is also visible in the preservation of the city. That said, it would be a pretty daunting task to pull off, especially given the limited number of visitors. It's a real shame, because Ostia ranks right up there with the best Italy has to offer.

So, although things may have changed in the mean time, you'd better bring along all the information you might need. The mosaics are preserved in situ. And as I said before, bring a good, detailed map. There are many hard to find gems (like the mithraeums, synagogue, imperial palace) that you're likely to miss otherwise.

If you go on a week day, you'll have the place to yourself. If the weather is decent, the Romans will come down from the city in droves to have a picnic in the weekends. Also, check the opening hours: they are usually changed from summer to winter schedule in October. And make sure you're at the gate when it opens, because you'll need a full day to see it all.

Enjoy your trip!

Well, this is important information. I've found a site online with a map, as you suggest. I'll be sure to check the off season "orario" on the official site before leaving, too. Thanks so much for your help!

The site is open every day except Monday and the museum is usually open in the mornings. I should know, I've set half a dozen of my books there.

Check out this page: Visiting the Site on the official Ostia Antica website

And my page: A Day in Ostia

It's an enchanting site and you won't regret your decision to go.

Flavia

The site is open every day except Monday and the museum is usually open in the mornings. I should know, I've set half a dozen of my books there.

Check out this page: Visiting the Site on the official Ostia Antica website

And my page: A Day in Ostia

It's an enchanting site and you won't regret your decision to go.

Flavia

Gratias tibi ago! I've prints from your suggested website. Very helpful.

The site is open every day except Monday and the museum is usually open in the mornings.

Ah, that would explain it. I've never been able to get to the museum before noon.

Is it any good?

The museum is delightful. Not too big. Thanks to the tireless work of Jan-Theo Bakker, the Ostia webmaster, the whole thing is now online here Ostia Virtual Museum...

Enjoy!

Flavia

The museum is delightful. Not too big. Thanks to the tireless work of Jan-Theo Bakker, the Ostia webmaster, the whole thing is now online here Ostia Virtual Museum...

Enjoy!

Flavia

Wow! That is great! Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
The site is open every day except Monday and the museum is usually open in the mornings.

Ah, that would explain it. I've never been able to get to the museum before noon.

Is it any good?

I've just returned from Italy and Ostia Antica. The museum is excellent with a great collection of marbles from the ancient city. It also does a nice job of explaining the post classical history of the site. Ostia has been very picked over since the middle ages. The British, French and other continental powers arrived to haul off many statues. Mussolini's use of the excavations to add imperial luster to his regime is well documented by the museum. Just as in the Roman Forum, in Ostia he obliterated the early medieval layers of excavations in the rush for imperial treasures.

The guides posted above in this area of the UVRV forum were very helpful in figuring out how to get to Ostia Antica from my hotel room. Yes, it only cost one euro. You go from the Rome metro to the Ostia train with the same ticket.

The museum serves very adequate fare. They had a very good choice of dishes in addition to the ever present pannini. This museum takes a mid day break. Don't miss Ostia Antica if you have some time to spend in Rome!

The guides posted above in this area of the UVRV forum were very helpful in figuring out how to get to Ostia Antica from my hotel room. Yes, it only cost one euro. You go from the Rome metro to the Ostia train with the same ticket. The museum serves very adequate fare. They had a very good choice of dishes in addition to the ever present pannini. This museum takes a mid day break. Don't miss Ostia Antica if you have some time to spend in Rome!

Thanks for the update! Good to know everything is still working.

I LOVE Ostia!! :lol:

Edited by Flavia Gemina