UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

A New Optio!

Gaius Octavius

Ooh!, look a new optio is given unto us! The G-Man! Will we survive? :)

Is 'Optio' Latin for 'idiot,' by chance?

Will we survive? :ph34r:

:wine:

I hope we don't have to opt out.

Egads, that's bad.

Alright PP, that was 2/3 of a pun. (Pee-eww). You too, GO, enough.

G-Man, an optio is the second in command to a centurion, kind of like a corporal. Since I am a Centurio, your my optio. We both serve GO in his unceasing war with RtG and his Egyptian hoardes. You up to it?

Alright PP, that was 2/3 of a pun. (Pee-eww). You too, GO, enough.

G-Man, an optio is the second in command to a centurion, kind of like a corporal. Since I am a Centurio, your my optio. We both serve GO in his unceasing war with RtG and his Egyptian hoardes. You up to it?

JR:

After reading up on it over at Wikipedia I accept!

Optios were vital units in the late Roman army, as casualties were often high among Centurions due to their position at the front of the century, which made them easy targets.
An Optio was stationed at the back of the ranks
to keep the troops in order. They were often in charge of guard duty, and would decide passwords and make sure the soldiers watched their posts.

Optio pay was double the standard legionary pay
and they were the most likely men to be promoted after a death of a centurion.

Oh, before I forget ... will there be any pillaging? I love pillaging!

("An Optio was stationed at the back of the ranks" reminds me of that Harold Ramis line from Stripes, "And I want you guys to know, if we ever have to go into combat ... I'll be behind you every step of the way." :ph34r: )

Oh, BTW, don't even think about JR becoming a casualty anytime soon...there will be no fraggings on my watch.

I'm totally cool with that. I just like that whole "I make twice as much as the rest of the guys but get to stand in the rear during battle" part.

Oh, before I forget ... will there be any pillaging? I love pillaging!

If I have anything to say about it there will. But it is ultimately up to the god-consul.

Oh, BTW, don't even think about JR becoming a casualty anytime soon...there will be no fraggings on my watch.

The god-Consul allows and indeed encourages pillaging, arson and 'other' informal activities. The medical squads are prepared. Fraggings are off the menu.

G-Man, do I take it that you wish to enter my service?

:romansoldier:

G-Man, do I take it that you wish to enter my service?

:)

I strongly recommend that you sign up now G-Man, c'mon join the dark side!

Pillaging and arson are just one of the many things the God Consul encourages and as for the "other" things.......Well you'll just have to join us and then you can find out for your self, but I must warn you it's not for the faint hearted!!!!!........

I strongly recommend that you sign up now G-Man, c'mon join the dark side!

Pillaging and arson are just one of the many things the God Consul encourages and as for the "other" things.......Well you'll just have to join us and then you can find out for your self, but I must warn you it's not for the faint hearted!!!!!........

Alright, sign me up. How late are we gonna be? My wife might get all ticked if I'm out late pillaging and burning and stuff.

Once on the dark side, men are men ...

... and the sheep are nervous?

Alright, sign me up. How late are we gonna be? My wife might get all ticked if I'm out late pillaging and burning and stuff.

Mamby Pamby. Once on the dark side, men are men. Period.

Yeah yeah yeah Doc, you'd be lost without us! :)