UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Viking Treasure Trove Discovered in Swedish Garden

A thousand-year-old Viking treasure trove has been dug up in a garden in Sweden, archaeologists report.

The hoard of silver coins from Europe, central Asia, and the Middle East was unearthed earlier this month by a gardener tending his vegetable patch on the Baltic island of Gotland.

So far 69 coins dating from the late 900s and early 1000s have been found, said archaeologist Dan Carlsson of Gotland University.

The find contains rare early Viking money and foreign currency from present-day England, Germany, Ireland, Iraq, and Uzbekistan.

More at NG News

Ooops, put it in the wrong section, can some mods move it the right one please ? archeological world news, of course!

Edited by Ozymandias

I couldn't tell from reading the article, but does anyone know whether this was a case of "finders keepers" -- or did the Swedish gardener have to turn over the treasure to some authority? If he got to keep it all, then that's some jackpot.

-- Nephele

I couldn't tell from reading the article, but does anyone know whether this was a case of "finders keepers" -- or did the Swedish gardener have to turn over the treasure to some authority? If he got to keep it all, then that's some jackpot.

-- Nephele

I'd be interested to know that as well. The article didn't put a price tag on the find. Any guesses?