UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

"Whistle-Stop" Tour of Hadrian's Wall Sites

GhostOfClayton

The Forum on www.hadrians-wall.info seems to have gone the same way as the Roman Empire (and I don't mean overrun by barbarians). Presumably, it's been absorbed into this one. I posted something there a few days ago, and heard nothing, so I'll post it here, and see what happens.

I'll be taking a small group of historians (no particular Roman bias) on a weekend "whistle-stop" tour of the wall sites, etc. in October. I've put together an itinerary, and I would welcome comments, especially where I'm trying to cram too much in. They will already have walked the National Trail between Chesters, Housesteads and Carvoran, so I've left out those sites.

Saturday

Arbeia (South Shields)

Segedunum

Newcastle Museum of Antiquities

Westgate Road Milecastle

Benwell Vallum Crossing

Hedon-on-the-Wall

Chollerford (beside Chesters Bridge)

Sunday

Corbridge

Vindolanda

Birdoswald

Tullie House Museum (Carlisle)

Crosscannonby Milefortlet

I

The Forum on www.hadrians-wall.info seems to have gone the same way as the Roman Empire (and I don't mean overrun by barbarians). Presumably, it's been absorbed into this one. I posted something there a few days ago, and heard nothing, so I'll post it here, and see what happens.

The admin of HW.info is actually a member here. (You can Private Message Augustus Caesar if you'd like). He only started his forum within the last year, and from experience, it takes a long time to build up a community. I guess he's more like Romulus trying to get things started than Romulus Augustulus with Odoacer at the gate. :romansoldier:

As for the whistle-stop tour... sounds like a wonderful idea. We have a fairly large UK member base here that has actually tried to arrange similar "meet and greets" at various Roman sites. I'm sure they can provide some insight...

ACs link is here:

http://www.hadrians-wall.info/hadrianswall...dunum/index.htm

GOC I hope your tour doesnt coincide with the "Great North Run", or if it does that you have booked hotels in advance.

GOC I hope your tour doesn't coincide with the "Great North Run", or if it does that you have booked hotels in advance.

Please don't do that to me, Pertinax. My heart was in my mouth for a second. Fortunately, my current plan is to run this weekend on the 20th and 21st October, and a quick Google reveals that the Great North Run isn't until the back end of September. Phew!

By the way, do you know anything about Westgate Road Milecastle?

Sorry about that GOC , but I had to ask! You cant get a room for love nor money when the run is on.

Westgate Road is I believe wholly built over in the centre of Newcastle, but AC is your "local man on the spot", and very knowledgable on all matters relating to The Wall. Northern Neil is also outstanding on construction details, but hes been rather tied up off forum lately.

My gallery area here has shots of some of the sites in the "historical sites" album.

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?automo...bum&album=9

Actually, expanding this "whistle-stop-weekend" tour idea might be worth thinking about. Hadrian's Wall is the obvious place, because of the sheer density of Roman sites, but can anyone think of other areas that might suit this format?

Provence springs to mind, but in an ideal world, I'd be looking for UK sites.

Before making any other comments , I would say that if Corbridge and Vindolanda (via the Mithraium at Proccolitta) were on the menu for the same day then that would be enough for a lot of people. Chesters is already "done"?

• 1 month later...

Hi there GhostofClayton!!

I have answered your post in my own forum and as I have done so there is no need to reply here... just in case others are wondering why I have not done so. The site itself will undergo another transformation soon - I keep getting sidetracked to do other websites!! - and the forum will be pushed again no doubt. I fear the trouble is that it deals with Hadrian's Wall mostly and it needs opening out. It also needs others to post as I am sure everyone is aware. What I would like is to have someone give a few pointers to what subjects I could include... ah well.......

Anyway.. I am sure to meet you at Arbeia as arranged elsewhere on the Saturday of the 10th Nov. so hopefully my ear infection that has plagued me for nearly a week now will be sorted by then!! We'll talk for a while I am sure so I'll see you there....

What is the weather like at Hadrian's Wall during the winter? I went during the summer, but am contemplating going during the winter.

You could get a "lazy wind" , that is one that will cut right through you! Im sure AC will comment , but Id have to say pack your best woolies and some hefty boots the weather could be cruel.

• 3 weeks later...

Having now completed the Hadrian