UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Cities of the underworld - Istanbul

just watched it on the history channel in australia wonder if anyone else has seen it..

its a series based on various cities and the subteranean buildings that it had..such as Rome.. etc

anyway he went to the forum cisterns which looked great still but when they toured the remains of the Hippodrome..

it was filled with sewage..anyone else find that a bit pathetic? anyway was quite happy to see the good conservation on the bucoleon palace with enourmous courtyard mosaics quite interesting.. unhappy that they didnt show Blachernae or the Theodosian walls..

Was just wondering if anyone knows of any philanthropic organisations or how much money is actually put into conserving Byzantine Constantinople? doesnt seem like much but then again its the same at most archaeological sites.

I did not see the show.

I remember that the remains of the Hippodrome are above the ground. It's a square with cars going on the 4 sides. Only the layout of the place and the monuments in the middle makes you realize what it was. How was it filled with sewage? It has something underground?

Turkey it's a country filled with mistreated arheological remains...

I did not see the show.

I remember that the remains of the Hippodrome are above the ground. It's a square with cars going on the 4 sides. Only the layout of the place and the monuments in the middle makes you realize what it was. How was it filled with sewage? It has something underground?

Turkey it's a country filled with mistreated arheological remains...

a large part was underground after the rubbish and ground level rose, so alot of thye area under the seating is 'underground' and filled it appeared with some sewage.