UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Cassius Loginus

1st Jewish Revolt

I have read some chapters from Josephus's work 'Jewish Wars'. In 67AD Vespasian and Titus initiated a campaign of terror in Galilee by killing men and enslaving women and children.

I am trying to understand how the Romans controlled their Empire by slaughter and intimidation. The old Republic's motto of Romans attacking other nations just to 'defend' themselves seems obsolete in the Empire period.

The Romans were noble in virtues and in the Pax Romana however they were brutal and 'savage' practically. I am finding it hard to bringing together the two extremes of the Romans.

The Romans dealth with the first Jewish revolt with ferocity and amounts almost to genocide. Anyway, the old USSR did the same to Ukrainians and other satellite Soviet nations. History always repeats itself.

Please help me understand.

:angry:

Please help me understand.

:unsure:

I'm not sure I can, but let me try.

I have read some chapters from Josephus's work 'Jewish Wars'. In 67AD Vespasian and Titus initiated a campaign of terror in Galilee by killing men and enslaving women and children.

A standard practice at that time and during most of History

I am trying to understand how the Romans controlled their Empire by slaughter and intimidation.

Once again, standard methods for almost any Empire.

The old Republic's motto of Romans attacking other nations just to 'defend' themselves seems obsolete in the Empire period.

And in the Republican period too. BTW, that is the common historical self-interpretation for the vast majority of Empires.

The Romans were noble in virtues and in the Pax Romana however they were brutal and 'savage' practically. I am finding it hard to bringing together the two extremes of the Romans.

Both the Romans and their victims would probably found it easier to understand. Subjugation and slavery were the alternatives to annihilation. Otherwise, the risk of retaliation was always present. Romans were very well aware that they would have been enslaved if they were ever defeated, as it has been indeed the case, Valerianus being probably the most notorious example.

The Romans dealth with the first Jewish revolt with ferocity and amounts almost to genocide.

You can skip the "almost". It fits perfectly with nowadays UN definition.

Anyway, the old USSR did the same to Ukrainians and other satellite Soviet nations. History always repeats itself.

I'm not very fond to cyclical interpretations of History, mainly because there are too many variables involved.

It has to be said the romans were ruthless. If you co-operated, you got all the goodies thier civilsation offered (eventually). If not, they drew swords. Stick and carrot. Now thats an over-dramatic generalisation but you get the picture?