UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

UK Meet 2008

Well it is Northumberland isn't it? Might be worth bringing survival equipment and an SAS guidebook to making pizzas from cement and bricks. Or maybe just some suncream? Decisions.. decisions....

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't do anything to help your decision making process Caldrail - but bring everything anyway! I like the sound of the pizza's!!! Very heavy and not nice to one's toes I suspect! :thumbsup:

And so the first day of our grand tour is over and done... we have arrived in Newcastle City Centre and toured the City Walls, visited the Newcastle Keep (the Norman Castle built in the eleventh century), looked at the markings around the castle to show where a huge fort (Pons Aelius) lies buried several feet underneath the Castle and City itself. A grand tour was had and many other local sites were pointed out to our crew. A trip back to the hotel for an evening meal and drink was begun with talk of all things Roman. Our hotelier, however, introduced a Geordie board game to us and we had an hour or so of huge delight playing that before our meal which was stunning.

And on to tomorrow where we visit Corbridge, Vindolanda and Housesteads before returning to the hotel or local pub for our evening chat about the day. Talks will be given by Augustus, Caldrail and The Augusta through the day and we will meet up with a re-enactment group too at Housesteads later in the day. So, an early start as travel will be on the exclusive AD122 Hadrians Wall Bus at 9.00am

More info may be posted here tomorrow night for you to read but that depends upon the typist being sober!!

Well, the meet went very well and I will be posting my report on this very soon for those interested in reading all about it. However, I shall be starting a new thread for that so it won't be lost in here. Once the report is done and posted both Caldrail and The Augusta will add their reports too. So keep an eye open for these.

We are in a very early stage of talking about venues for next year but I will begin a new thread for that too very soon when we can narrow it down a little so choices don't get out of hand.

Hopefully the photographs of the group may come out well and some of them may be posted to the gallery too.

Keep checking....

• 3 weeks later...
Has a wrap-up of the meet and photos been posted?

We're all awaiting the nod from our Emperor. As befits his elevated status, he is to post first. As he is my own very dear husband, he did let me know behind closed doors that his report is almost ready for posting, so hopefully we won;t have much longer to wait.

We're all awaiting the nod from our Emperor. As befits his elevated status, he is to post first. As he is my own very dear husband, he did let me know behind closed doors that his report is almost ready for posting, so hopefully we won;t have much longer to wait.

Good. Maybe you should give him some tasty figs as a reward. :whistling:

We are in a very early stage of talking about venues for next year but I will begin a new thread for that too very soon when we can narrow it down a little so choices don't get out of hand.

Glad the 2008 meet went well, and am looking forward eagerly to the reports, photos, etc.

As for 2009 . . . if it's of any use to you, I do a Guided Tour of Lincoln (Lindum Colonia, former Legionary Fortress, Colonia, and Provincial Capital) with a strongly Roman bias. There's a full day's worth of stuff to see, and could probably stretch it out a little. I put my services at your disposal, if you're interested.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi everyone... your Emperor here. May I apologise very strongly for the much delayed report from our Wall Meet this summer... I have been inundated with tons of work since that great weekend and have started to get on top of it all. Some photo's were undeveloped too as they were stuck in my camera with film to spare. These are now developed after a trip to the Hadrian Exhibition at the British Museum recently and I can maybe get some up on this site very shortly. It won't be too long now so please be patient... as you obviously have already.

Actually, the real delay was to ensure I would not be tempted by those figs on offer from Augusta (or more correctly suggested by Ursus) that I stayed away a short while to have those folk reprimanded and kept at a distance. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile the plebs were developing the pictures via a very old technique and it has taken a while to get them back. While they are merely low class citizens they are employed by a perfectionist!! So I sacked the perfectionist! It has taken two thousand years to have them transferred to CD too so they could be at hand much quicker than a scan of the older paper variety.

Anyway, hopefully they will be available in days....

Keep watching...

• 2 months later...
Would it be possible to get the highlights on the 2008 meet before 2009 arrives?

I have PMd AC on this very subject, Ursus, but rather than delay any longer I shall post a report myself. This will be in two parts and I am polishing the first bit now. Hopefully, this will be up either later tonight, or at some stage tomorrow. If Calders is reading this post, please feel free to submit your own account of matters also - the more the merrier.

Oh my goodness!!! My sincerest apologies to every one of you awaiting the report I should have posted a while back! This will appear hopefully by the end of tonight as I polish it up or tomorrow at the very latest. My apologies mostly to the members who joined me on this meet and to the admins here who are undoubtedly concerned at the lack of my report. Whilst many excuses can be offered that would be very sincere and honest I should really have got this done by now. Time has obviously taken me over and once more I can only offer my humble words of sincerity to you all. I have other forums I run or where I am a member and have not been in those either but that is no consolatin here because of the nature of the report I should have posted. So hopefully tonight you should have it in all its glory!!!

Hadrian's Wall Meet 2008

Attendees: Augustus Caesar, Hadriana, Augusta, Charles and Caldrail

DAY ONE - Friday, 25th July

York, England, April 2007 from mid-day Friday 13th to mid-day Sunday 15th... seven of our members plus three partners got together for a meeting to discuss all things Roman. This was the first time any of us had met and so the potential to be strangers was on the cards from the kick off. However, as the meeting up of each other progressed it was clear that was never going to happen. We all got on very well even though personalities were different. That didn

Edited by Augustus Caesar