UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Glottopedia

docoflove1974

Hot off the wires of LinguistList!

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-3057. Fri Oct 19 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.3057, FYI: Glottopedia: The Free Encyclopedia of Linguistics

-------------------------Message 1 ----------------------------------

Dear LINGUIST readers,

We would like to announce a new free reference resource for linguists: Glottopedia, the free encyclopedia of linguistics (see http://www.glottopedia.org).

Glottopedia is a wiki site that depends on volunteer contributions, like Wikipedia. All linguists are invited to share their knowledge with others through this site.

Glottopedia differs from Wikipedia (or other general encyclopedias such as Citizendium) in that

(i) its content is much more specialized (e.g. you'll be able to find articles on ''copy raising'', ''appositive relative clause'', ''subcomparative construction'', ''relabelling'', ''rich agreement'', ''loan translation'', ''adfix''), and

(ii) users must have an account to edit articles, and they must be linguists with an academic background.

Moreover, Glottopedia focuses on *dictionary articles* rather than survey articles of the sort that are found in Wikipedia (and various specialized linguistics handbooks). But each dictionary article (potentially) provides more information than just a definition: It also gives examples, synonyms, other meanings of the term, the origin of the term, some key references, and a translation into other languages (Glottopedia is a multilingual enterprise; so far there are mainly articles in English and German).

Glottopedia also has articles on linguists, but unlike Wikipedia, which aims to restrict its articles to ''notable people'' (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Notability (academics)), Glottopedia potentially has articles on all linguists. Thus, there is no danger that an administrator will delete your article because it does not meet this (extremely vague) criterion. (However, Glottopedia's articles on living linguists are restricted to links, in order to avoid problems of personality rights.)

Eventually we also want to add articles about all languages and language families (with detailed references), and articles about things that we need for our everyday work (such as journals, conferences, institutions), but at the moment this is mainly an idea for the future.

We feel that Glottopedia is a resource that the field of linguistics really needs, and we hope that you will all contribute to it (as well as contributing to Wikipedia, for a general audience!). Some of us have taught courses in which the assignment to the students was writing dictionary articles on some technical terms. We think that especially advanced students, who do not yet have easy access to other forms of publications, will find that Glottopedia gives them a great chance to make a contribution to the field.

Martin Haspelmath, Sven Naumann, and G

Interesting! Just curious about one thing... Why the feather icon? Is there some connection between feathers and linguistics that I'm missing?

-- Nephele

Interesting! Just curious about one thing... Why the feather icon? Is there some connection between feathers and linguistics that I'm missing?

-- Nephele

Salve, Ladies.

I think it's a quill, as a symbol of ancient Literature, an obligatory source for linguistic investigation.

I'd thought that it might be a quill, but there's no nub. It's kind of a silly graphic. I go with DoL's "Yankee Doodle" guess. "Called it macaroni" works as a better linguistics connection. :no2:

-- Nephele