Faustus

This item is most timely:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol...icle2764607.ece

who could resist the City anyway?

Another POUSSIN:

~~~~ Destruction of the Temple at Jerusalem ~~~~

DestructionOfTheTemple.jpg

WHAT OTHERS HAVE SAID

The subject is taken from the History of the Jewish War by Flavius Josephus (AD 37/38-100). Riding on his dapple grey, Titus, the son of the reigning Roman emperor, sees with horror how against his expressed will the Old Testament prophesy of the destruction of the Temple of Solomon comes true. The chaos of the dramatic plot is set by Poussin within a well-ordered framework. In its rigorous form, in the spatial clarity where everything has its proper place, this work is witness to the decisive turn that Poussin made towards strict Classicism, relief-like composition and sober colouring as well as towards a precise definition of the figure within space. The painting was commissioned by Cardinal Francesco Barberini, who presented the work to Emperor Ferdinand III on behalf of his uncle, Pope Urban VIII. Was it intended as praise for the victory of Ferdinand over the Protestants at N

Edited by Faustus

A while ago I read a book about the great Byzantine general, Belisarius. After reading and thoroughly enjoying the book I did a bit of research and came up with these paintings which have become firm favorites.....

by Jacques Louis-David (1781)

655pxdavidbelisariuscp6.jpg

by Francois Andre Vincent (1776)

belisariusbyfrancoisandoy3.jpg

by Jean Francois Pierre Peyron

800pxbelisariusbypeyronaj4.jpg

Taken from Wiki.......

According to a story that gained popularity during the Middle Ages, Justinian is said to have ordered Belisarius' eyes to be put out, and reduced him to the status of homeless beggar near the Pincian Gate of Rome, condemned to asking passers-by to "give an obolus to Belisarius" (date obolum Belisario), before pardoning him. Most modern scholars believe the story to be apocryphal, though Philip Stanhope, a 19th century British philologist who wrote Life of Belisarius
Edited by Gaius Paulinus Maximus

• 1 month later...

It is a subject that's been covered in art on numerous occasions, but I quite like the depiction of Cincinnatus leaving the plow on the orders of the Senate.

Cincinnatus

This is not the image I originally wanted to post, as the painting I actually admired was the one by Felix Barrias, which won the Prix de Rome in 1844. Sadly I can't find a single copy of that image.

This one is quite close in apperance to Barrias' painting, although unfortunately it is too small.

If you want to see Barrias' painting there is a small black and white illustration in Phil Matyszak's 'Chronicel of the Roman Republic' pg. 60.

Edited by DecimusCaesar