UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Images Wanted ~~ Artists of Classical Roman Art

Faustus

Who is your favorite Classical Roman artist and why? Show Us an Image of His Work.

And can you provide an explanation or an interpretation of a scene from a classical Roman Artist?

Always for me, when looking through a book on the Ancient World, Greece, or Rome I'd come across a work of art by a classical artist, and oftentimes I would pause in fascination at the theme, the architecture, the battles scenes, the mythology. . .which is your preference?

We all have our favorite Classical Roman artists; the paintings of which, when we see them, cause us to just stop and gaze. . .

In October 1988 Time magazine did an article on the coming of Nicolas Poussin

Edited by Faustus

The one you posted is beautiful Asclepiades.

I've always prefered the third Pompeian style. Here's some pictures, I'll try to get some better when I get home.

00017606_000.gif

It's more of a style thou.

Salve, F.

This is the famous mural portrait of the baker (pistor) and eventually mayor of Pompeii, Publius Paquius Proculus, and his wife.

At least for me, this beautiful image would be the perfect illustration for serene love.

Salve ASCLEPIADES

Many times I've seen that without knowing . . .I think you captured it in words.

Not to be too mechanical or analytical: He seems to be saying "I'm a husband and I'm a baker" as he has what looks like a metal spatula under his chin; "we are what we do".

She of course then states "I'm a wife. . .as she holds something I'm less certain of, except I've seen "art" pieces similar to that in cut glass, bordered in lead edging.

This is their universe: each other and what they do. . .But the serenity of love goes beyond all that!

Is it standard practice in these portraits for man to be on stage left, our right?

Edited by Faustus

A ROMAN GODDESS by Poussin

Poussin

Edited by Faustus

Here's a favorite of mine of a girl seated and reading in a quiet corner of a Roman peristylium. This engraving originally appeared in Jakob von Falke's Hellas und Rom, a 19th century collection of classical "restorations." Many of these engravings were reproduced for my favorite old book on daily life in ancient Rome by William Stearns Davis: A Day in Old Rome (1925).

Girl.jpg

Ahhh, it was this book, and these old engravings, which first caused me to fall in love with ancient Rome. I never grow tired of this book as, each time I open it, I'm transported back to Rome in the year 134 CE. (I really must get my act together and review this book for UNRV.)

-- Nephele

[im afraid im terribly reactionary, so it would have to be Godward:

godward05ot6.jpg

and I share the "low" taste of the Vetti

9908030066.jpg

[im afraid im terribly reactionary, so it would have to be Godward:

godward05ot6.jpg

Oh, that looks somewhat like another seaside painting (by Alma Tadema) that you gave me for my birthday! That one was lovely, too. I see a reoccuring theme in your tastes, Pertinax. ;)

-- Nephele

Yet again I do not the any specific artist but here's a piece of a frieze that really caught my attention back when I was going through ancient arts.

I really wish I had a better picture.

gallery_1460_110_125597.jpg

I's from the temple of Athena Nike on the acropolis, built in the 420's B.C.

Edited by Klingan

The Dying Gaul

dyinggaulzy2.jpg

This is a Roman copy of the statue commissioned some time between 230 BC and 220 BC by Attalos I of Pergamon to honor his victory over the Galatians.

I especially like it for it's extraordinary realism, you could actually see the suffering of the Gaulic warrior as he die, it's also a very realist depict of a Gaul (notice his moustache!).

The dying Gaul is indeed a masterpiece. We have a copy of it where I study.

Here's another beautiful piece (from my university).

gallery_1460_110_88658.jpg

I don't remember actually but I'd say it's a modern copy (That's for sure) of a Roman copy of a Greek original.

Here is Laurens Alma -Tadema who is (presently) unfashionable , look at this detailing:

449785482_41409e8cdf.jpg

from this painting:

preparation-in-the-colosseum.jpg

LawrenceAlmaTadema-The-Colosseum-1896.jpg

here is a link to a catalogue, note that The Elgin Marbles fascinated him.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...en%26safe%3Doff

Although this might not be strictly in the 'Classical' period of Roman history, it does rank as one of my favourite Roman paintings:

gallafam.jpg

It might be a picture of the young emperor Valentian, his siter Honoria, and their mother Galla Placidia. It was supposedly commisioned for the tomb of Placidia who died in AD 450/1, therefore placing it within the last few decades of the Western Roman Empire.

According Peter Brown's 'World of Late Antiquity' it's a "Family Group of the fourth century" (not the fifth) and it's part of "gold glass inset in a cross".

Edited by DecimusCaesar