UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Peter Connolly

DecimusCaesar

I'm a great fan of the books of Peter Connolly. I remember his books were some of the early catalysts for my interest in Ancient Rome. I've been trying to find most of his work as they've been out of print for many years.

So far I've managed to get some second hand copies of -

Tiberius Claudius Maximus - The Cavalryman. (1988)

The Greek Armies (1975)

The Roman Army (1975)

Warfare in the Ancient World (1989)

The Roman Fort (1991)

I also have first hand copies of 'Greece and Rome at War', 'Pompeii', 'The Ancient City: Life in Classical Athens & Rome', 'The Holy Land' and 'The Ancient Greece of Odysseus'. I have heard that he published a book in the mid seventies on the armies of 'Hannibal and the Enemies of Rome', although I'm finding it hard to get a copy - amazon do sell some copies, but for extortionate prices.

What has bugged me for some years is that I remember looking through a copy of a book by Connolly on the Celts when I was younger. I've searched on the internet for ages trying to find a copy of this book, yet I can't even find a single mention of it. Was there ever a Connolly title on the Celts?

(I own a copy of Professor Simon James' 'Exploring the World of the Celts' and that does contain some Connolly illustrations involving the Celts - one's I haven't seen in his other titles)

Does anyone have any information on this Celtic title? What are your own thoughts on Connolly?

I have always loved Connolly's work... I have three of his books (Pompeii, Greece and Rome at War, The Ancient City) and find them very useful because of the many things which are illustrated and can't be found any where else.