UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

CONCRETE ~~ Egyption or Roman Discovery

Faustus

Salve -

I have long been of the opinion that concrete, and hydraulic concrete also was invented by the Ancient Romans. I didn

"... Some dissenters say that levers or pulleys were used, even though the wheel had not been invented at that time..."

Which has always made me wonder: What did the chariots roll along on?

Salve -

A very good question Gaius. I'd like to say that I wondered about the same thing, but I didn't. Another Anomaly I suppose: (a Yah. search=) "To our knowledge, the first reported chariot comes from about 2000 B.C.E. in Mesopotamia. ... The design of the chariot of two wheels and were squeaky and ..." MORE on CHARIOTS)

And chariot wheels were very, very, hard wheels. To be honest the concern I always had was the stiffness of the ride on a charioteers feet. . .I really have never seen them as an advantage over riding horseback excepting perhaps for royalty, and they may have stood on sponge pads?

Back to topic: Cheops, Khephren and Mykerinos pyramids all preceded the chariot in Egypt, into which it found its way about 2,000 BCE. However it was in Sumerian culture by 3,500 - 3,000 BCE. (ref'd in above search)