UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Life by John R. Clarke

Ursus

This book earns my endearing recommendation.

http://www.unrv.com/book-review/roman-life.php

"Roman Life was both a great joy and highly informative to read. The book itself is a worthy tome, but the addition of the CD elevates it to truly great horizons. Read in conjunction with Clarke's "Roman Sex" I think one would have a true appreciation of the Roman soul."

I purchased Clarke's Roman Sex based on your review and recommendation and found it a totally engrossing read. I'll definitely be adding Clarke's Roman Life to my personal collection. Many thanks for another fine review, Ursus!

-- Nephele

Of all the wonderful reviews you have given us over the past years, Ursus, this has to count among your most outstanding. Absolutely excellent! Roman Sex sits happily on my bookshelves already and I will certainly be buying this companion. For those of us whose main interest lies in the nitty gritty of everyday life among the Romans, it would seem that this book cannot be ignored.

I read your brilliant review Ursus and went looking for the book on Amazon. It took me a while to find it, as the book is listed as being written by Michael Larvey rather than John R. Clarke, which is very strange. So I'm taking a rather dangerous plunge by buying this book, as I might end up with a completely different title.

Here's the link to the Amazon UK site: Roman Life 100 BC - AD 200

Some of the book information on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk do seem to match up, so in all probability it could be the same book.

That is the book, Decimus. I think UK amazon simply listed the wrong author. I actually am going to e-mail Clarke about this, as he may wish to be informed. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

I read your brilliant review Ursus and went looking for the book on Amazon. It took me a while to find it, as the book is listed as being written by Michael Larvey rather than John R. Clarke, which is very strange. So I'm taking a rather dangerous plunge by buying this book, as I might end up with a completely different title.

Here's the link to the Amazon UK site: Roman Life 100 BC - AD 200

Some of the book information on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk do seem to match up, so in all probability it could be the same book.

That's a good idea. Thank you.

Interestingly if you click Michael Larvey's name on the Amazon UK site, it claims he co-authoured Roman Sex with John R. Clarke. Is there any mention of Mr. Clarke co-authouring Roman Sex with Larvey in your copy of the book? (I don't own a copy of Roman Sex so I have to go with whatever amazon says).

I have already purchased Roman Life, thank you again for the great review.

As an addendum, Professor Clarke and his publisher graciously offered me another title of his to read and review. I am eager to do so, though with professional and personal schedules about to become busy I can't give a definite timeframe on when it will be completed.

I got this one on friday. I read it and really enjoyed it, It's one of the most enjoyable books on Roman society I've come across. I only wish I had taken the time to check up the CD when the author mentioned it during some passages in the book. Still, I will check it out later.

Thank you again for the recommendation.

• 3 months later...