UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Architecture and design of houses in Classical Greece

Alain12345

Hi, I'm working on a paper on the architecture and design of houses in Classical Greece. Fortunately, there are many good secondary sources that I can refer to, but I'm having trouble finding primary sources that will strengthen my argument. Does anyone know of primary sources from the Classical Period that discuss the layout or design of houses?

Thanks.

I am not too sure about this, but perhaps the works of Xenophon might shed some light on houses in Ancient Greece. I believe he describes life in the family home in one of his books.

It is also worth checking out Peter Connolly's Ancient City. It has many layouts and illustrations covering Greek houses, although you might have that book already.

• 2 years later...

I m sure about that, but perhaps the works of Xenophon could shed light on the houses in ancient Greece. I think it describes life in the family home in one of his books. It is also worth checking to Peter Connolly, from the ancient city. Have many designs and illustrations covering the Greek houses, though you may have this book.

Well the Economics from Xenophon does indeed describe a house, but it's a larger oikos, closer to a roman villa than to a domus. In order to learn about ancient greek house design one might look for the papers on the excavations of the Agora in Athens. There are also a few other houses excavated in various other places (but surprisingly few) and one might also look at Delos's excavation rapports because it does also contain a lot of information (although it is not so much from the classical period as it is from the late hellenistic and roman period).

• 1 month later...