UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Domitianus3

Cross in Colosseum...should it be there?

Hey everyone, quick question seeing as it is late at night and I should be sleeping. I was randomly thinking of things to bring up and thought about the cross that lies at the northern edge of the arena inside the Colosseum. I was just curious if anyone had an opinion on whether or not the thing really belongs in there? By the way I love the forum and have been searching for days looking for a place to talk with others who love all things Roman as I do. I am really impressed by the vast knowledge that many of the members have.

I'll post my opinions later seeing as my bed is calling to me. Thanks... and if the topic is dumb please let me know.

Hey everyone, quick question seeing as it is late at night and I should be sleeping. I was randomly thinking of things to bring up and thought about the cross that lies at the northern edge of the arena inside the Colosseum. I was just curious if anyone had an opinion on whether or not the thing really belongs in there? By the way I love the forum and have been searching for days looking for a place to talk with others who love all things Roman as I do. I am really impressed by the vast knowledge that many of the members have.

I'll post my opinions later seeing as my bed is calling to me. Thanks... and if the topic is dumb please let me know.

Welcome to the forum :D

As for the cross, the Church's claim on the Colosseum as a place of martyrdom is a bit dubious I believe.

I can think of only one instance where a Christian was killed in there, but there could well be more.

On the other hand, claiming it as a sacred place did help to protect the structure, and I suppose they

could have done worse than just plant a cross.

As for the cross, the Church's claim on the Colosseum as a place of martyrdom is a bit dubious I believe.

I can think of only one instance where a Christian was killed in there, but there could well be more.

On the other hand, claiming it as a sacred place did help to protect the structure, and I suppose they

could have done worse than just plant a cross.

Like Maladict, I agree that the presence of the cross as a symbol of Christian martyrdom is entirely misplaced. The structure has no real religious connotation: Pagan, Christian or otherwise, so the idea is definately misleading. There were certainly Christians killed in the Colosseum, but the sources who mention the persecutions don't mention this structure by name. Rome (and the empire) was home to a multitude of arenas that could've served any such purpose. Of course, on this we will probably never be able to say with any certainty on either side of the argument, or the actual numbers vs. those of Christian lore.

The Colosseum was also used as a Christian cemetery after the 5th or 6th centuries. I believe many were buried in the arena sands while others were entombed in the various chambers below. I have no idea how many, if any, remain.

I suppose they could have done worse than just plant a cross.

They did do worse. But I suppose we should at least be grateful that they didn't build an entire church inside the Colosseum, as had been planned.

"The picture below shows the inner circle with the inscription and the cross put by Benedictus XIV. On two occasions (Pope Clemens X/Gian Lorenzo Bernini and Clemens XI/Carlo Fontana) the idea of erecting a church inside the Colosseum was considered: eventually during the pontificate of Clemens XI, fourteen stations of the Cross were built in memory of the Christian martyrs. They were re-erected in 1749, during the pontificate of Benedictus XIV, and pulled down in 1874 to allow the excavations of the arena. With the consecration to the Christian Martyrs, the Colosseum became the scene of many processions and religious ceremonies, in particular during the Holy Week. These ceremonies often excited the crowds and led to assaults against the Jews."

From http://www.romeartlover.it/Vasi33.htm

-- Nephele

But I suppose we should at least be grateful that they didn't build an entire church inside the Colosseum, as had been planned.

That's exactly what I meant.

But on the whole I think Christian interference was benificial to the structure.

the presence of a cross in the Colosseum is indeed misplaced, in the context of venerating Christian martyrs. To be fair, the Catholic Encyclopedia actually states this, and the Church's position on this has always been that the association with martyrs is sketchy and inconclusive. See here: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04101b.htm

Thanks everyone for replying. Seeing as it was my first topic posted I am glad it generated a little discussion. I was aware of the plans laid out to construct a church inside the structure. I suppose I could have been more detailed in my questioning. I guess what I really wanted to know when I wrote that at 4 in the morning was whether or not the cross should be there in the first place. I am glad that eventually the place was consecrated as a place of martyrdom and thus starting the preservation process, but seeing as there is no solid proof of christian killings taking place in the structure I was just curious as to everyone's opinion on the subject. I would also generally agree that the church did more good than bad in the long run with regards to the structure. Again thanks everyone.