UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Mark Antony

Guest tathraman

No. And it's not clear what the Romans thought of penis size anyway. A paragon of male strength, like Hercules, was typically depicted as having a very small penis. In contrast, Priapus, who was more laughable than sexy, was large enough to have given his name to the malady of priapism.

But, then, we're talking about the author of Thorn Birds, so why expect historical authenticity when it gets in the way of writing a bodice-ripper.

Strangely enough no one thought to or cared to interview Antony or his lovers on his penile size. But MPC is correct - in Greco-Roman society a smaller penis seems to have been preferred to an especially large one, if art is any evidence.

Or the artists made their statues badly equipped to impress their own wifes? :ph34r:

Form Petronius's Satyricon I remember that the size of the penis of one of the caracters made quite a sensation at the baths on the other man onlookers. Of course, the book it's ironic so you can't really tell what they thought about it.

Edited by Kosmo

Anyone reading Suetonius will be in doubt what roman thought about penis size. It wasn't much different from what people think of it today.

Edited by caldrail

If it wasn't much different, why the artistic depictions of Hercules as so small?

Jealousy perhaps? Penis Envy? I notice that Herc always has a massive club at the ready...

As for Mark Antony in the C. McCullough books, I think depicting the guy with a massive appendage just suits her characterisation of him and evens up the fact that she describes him as quite an ugly man. Giving him an oversized utensil that he's not afraid of advertising makes his womanising more valid.

Anyone reading Suetonius will be in doubt what roman thought about penis size. It wasn't much different from what people think of it today.

If it wasn't much different, why the artistic depictions of Hercules as so small?

When was the depiction created? Roman sexual behaviour changed over the late republic in line with other tastes in luxuries. From the moral outrage of earlier times to the licentious smirk of imperial Rome. Was the artist any good? Was he making a joke at the sponsor of the work? Was it an insult? I can't answer your question MPC.

Strangely enough no one thought to or cared to interview Antony or his lovers on his penile size. But MPC is correct - in Greco-Roman society a smaller penis seems to have been preferred to an especially large one, if art is any evidence.

Think of the model posing for such in the middle of January, even John Holmes would probably experience shrinkage!

When was the depiction created? Roman sexual behaviour changed over the late republic in line with other tastes in luxuries. From the moral outrage of earlier times to the licentious smirk of imperial Rome. Was the artist any good? Was he making a joke at the sponsor of the work? Was it an insult? I can't answer your question MPC.

The depictions of Herakles' small member span hundreds of years and art forms. Here's the famous Herakles Farnese:

herakles_farnese.jpg

And here is Herakles from an Attic vase:

heraktripod.jpg

Given the consistency of the depiction across time, contexts, artists, and possible models, I don't see how the counter-evidence of virile Hercules' small member can be dismissed as reflecting decadent Imperial tastes, generally poor artistic merit, jokes at sponsors, and so on. In contrast, there is an easy way to explain this consistency--the ancients, unlike moderns, didn't associate large penises with strength and masculinity.

Martial definitely feels more is more so to speak - and as he refers to some character boasting of his oversized organ, such sentiment was perhaps not uncommon. I've not read of this in connection with Mark Antony though, and Cicero, who never spares a scatological reference to the man if he gets a chance, would certainly have said something even if along the lines of 'it's bigger than his brain'

Re Patronius

'Habebat enim inguinum pondus tam grande ut ipsum hominem lacinam fascini crederes.'

Petronius Sat.92.9

'The guy was so well hung that you'd think the man was an attachment of his prick'.

However, in Greek art, perfect shape and proportion is everything, and only the very ugly or barbaric depicted as having a huge 'Mark Antonys'

Good call. Martial is a nice counterexample.

I wonder if the Greeks and Romans had different tastes. In the Clouds, Aristophenes describes the ideal in male beauty thus:

If you follow my recommendations,

And keep them ever in mind,

You will always have a rippling chest, radiant skin,

Broad shoulders, a wee tongue,

A grand rump and a petite ποσθη