UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Lictors and the Emperor

P.Clodius

While re-reading Claudius the God I got to the part where he is describing his triumph, in which he says he had 24 "Yeomen" with axes and rods! Anyone know if this was standard for the emperors? I know 24 was the number in republican times for a dictator, but with an emperor having Imperium Maius would this be symbolized with 24 lictors?

While re-reading Claudius the God I got to the part where he is describing his triumph, in which he says he had 24 "Yeomen" with axes and rods! Anyone know if this was standard for the emperors? I know 24 was the number in republican times for a dictator, but with an emperor having Imperium Maius would this be symbolized with 24 lictors?

Yes, I think the issue is simply Graves' translation of lictor. However, as for the number... I'm definately not positive about this, but the following passage from Cassius Dio leads me to believe that Domitian was the first princeps to use 24 lictors. I believe the Julio-Claudians used the standard consular 12.

Book 67.4.3

However, being still more puffed up by his folly, he was elected consul for ten years in succession and censor for life, being the first and only man, whether private citizen or emperor, to be given this latter honour; he also received the privilege of employing twenty-four lictors and of wearing the triumphal garb whenever he entered the senate-house

It would seem logical for Augustus to assign 12 lictors in order to keep up the Republican facade, but I'm having trouble locating any additional definitive statements regarding the exact number. Most references are generic (accompanied by lictors, preceded by lictors, etc.).

EDIT. PS, I knew that you knew what Grave's meant by Yeoman.

It would seem logical for Augustus to assign 12 lictors in order to keep up the Republican facade, but I'm having trouble locating any additional definitive statements regarding the exact number. Most references are generic (accompanied by lictors, preceded by lictors, etc.).

"The following year C

"The following year C