UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Classical architecture - when did it end?

Northern Neil

When did public buildings such as greek - style temples, theatres and amphitheatres stop being built? Diocletian's palace at Split had a greek temple style building in its midst, but that is the latest one I can find, and it seems that this style of building ceased to be built thereafter. What about entertainments? Were the Hippodrome at Constantinople or the amphitheatre at El Djem the last ones, or were some built after then? My general impression is that such things were no longer built after the end of the 3rd century.

When did public buildings such as greek - style temples, theatres and amphitheatres stop being built? Diocletian's palace at Split had a greek temple style building in its midst, but that is the latest one I can find, and it seems that this style of building ceased to be built thereafter. What about entertainments? Were the Hippodrome at Constantinople or the amphitheatre at El Djem the last ones, or were some built after then? My general impression is that such things were no longer built after the end of the 3rd century.

Here's a guess. The classical style was open: large porticoes, wide public spaces (tho often crowded with statues, memorial columns, etc.) With the arrival of Christianity and the loss of Roman power, the style changed to reflect these new developments. Interior spaces, both physical and psychological, became more important. Contemplation vs public display, e.g. You can see some of this in Augustine's writings: the soul, salvation, God. His are post classical in that they deal with interior themes. Also, the wealth that created these large public buildings in classical times became very much reduced. Many projects, such as baths, had their construction costs financed by individuals, even middle class patrons. The middle class, decuriones, became an extinct species during the final stage of Roman power.

I'm sure other UNRVers have more to say about your interesting question.

Edited by Ludovicus

One can find exemples of classical architecture quite late, at least up to the time of Charlemagne (8th A.D. : a basilica in the classical style on the forum of Nerva in Rome ) but I'd say that the 4th century A.D. is the turning point, mainly because construction technics changed with a more important use of brickwork ( think basilica of Maxentius in Rome, Constantine's works in Trier, ... ).

One can find exemples of classical architecture quite late, at least up to the time of Charlemagne (8th A.D. : a basilica in the classical style on the forum of Nerva in Rome ) but I'd say that the 4th century A.D. is the turning point, mainly because construction technics changed with a more important use of brickwork ( think basilica of Maxentius in Rome, Constantine's works in Trier, ... ).

I'll bet that any 8th century construction in the Forum of Nerva would have used mainly spolia (the reuse of older materials: columns, decorative stone, etc.). There's an interesting use of spolia inside the church of Santa Prassede, near Piazza Santa Maria Maggiore, in Rome.

I don't see Charlemagne's basilica being built from scratch. Why should it have been? There must have been heaps of fallen columns within the vicinity of the construction site. "Hey, Rigobertus, go find me 8 nice classical columns about X meters long. Check out the Forum Romanum, if you can't find them nearby."