UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

A Walk In the Woods

Faustus

A Walk In The Woods ~ CARTER, SADAT & BEGIN did it in 1978

(Remembering Carter, Sadat, and Begin; the subtitle to their talks was

Edited by Faustus

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I was in the mountains. The snow was melting and there were loads of mud. In the patches of snow you could still see animal footprints. We've found a mudpuddle where a boar had bathed. I was wondering if the bears had finished their hibernation. Next time I'll go in summer when the soil it's dry, there are grass and flowers and much warmer weather.

When I walk I always talk with the others, one summer night being alone I sang and ringed my keys 'cause I don't want to meet the wildlife too close, especially the many brown bears.

Last week I was in the mountains. The snow was melting and there were loads of mud. In the patches of snow you could still see animal footprints. We've found a mudpuddle where a boar had bathed. I was wondering if the bears had finished their hibernation. Next time I'll go in summer when the soil it's dry, there are grass and flowers and much warmer weather.

When I walk I always talk with the others, one summer night being alone I sang and ringed my keys 'cause I don't want to meet the wildlife too close, especially the many brown bears.

Thanks Kosmo, for bringing up the safety issue.

A sturdy walking stick can give the impression of a "long-gun" or a rifle to wild animals, without actually having to carry one. There is an interesting example of that I will describe at the bottom.* But about animals; Around here in Indiana there have been mountain lions or cougars reported, and some large exotic "pet" animals are released into the wild, so that you can

*On the Discovery Channel some years back I saw an interesting and applicable scenario to this discussion. In a country where lions live in a jungle like environment (as opposed to open savannah) it is occasionally necessary to take count of their population. A Park (or Forest) Ranger goes into the jungle with a young goat in tether carrying a long rifle or gun. The goat realizes the danger of being there and makes some goat sounds, like bleating, etc.

A further note: The Gir Forest National Park and Wildlife Sanctuary (AKA Sauan-Gir) south-east of Junagadh district in the Kathiawar Peninsula of Gujarat state India CLICK HERE and go to 3.2 The Lion breeding programme and lion counting ("Live Bait" Lion Counting).

I got a one match ban for my exploits on the sports field, so my boy and I went hunting with my uncle instead of our usual Saturday morning sports expiditions.

I love to hike with my kids. They don't like the hiking quite as much as I do, but too bad; it's good for them. They do love nature; being able to see a bird or an eel or a fish in it's natural environs, well, it tickles them pink and brings out their sense of wonderment. We are lucky here in New Zealand in that nature, oceans, mountains, or forests, are never far away.

This is the first time my son has been hunting, though. There have been quite a few cases of hunters acidentally shooting other hunters so I was a bit apprehensive, but my uncle is a pro. He is an old school bushman and very, very knowledgeable about bush lore and safety. When I was my son's age, I watched him tickle a fish out of the water. It was amazing.

My son's eyes were wide as saucers when we finally bailed up a pig with our dogs and my uncle and I went in to stick it. It was scary for him, but exciting too. He wasn't too freaked out, I could tell. Anyway, hunting is in our blood.

I love the bush/forests and getting into them and I want to pass that on to my kids. Nothing centers me better than going into the bush for a week or two and existing on my wits.

I'm an avid summer camper and love the outdoors, though ultimately I am drawn to my computer and the comforts of home.

Regardless, this summer I thought it might be wise to limit my excursions within my home state of Michigan due to the cost of fuel. I had originally planned a drive to Virginia for such things as Monticello and various other colonial and civil war historical attractions, but alas... I expect my boys (7 and 4) will appreciate that more in a couple of years anyway. It's roughly 600 miles and a 10.5 hour drive

Now, in my infinite wisdom rather than drive the 10 hours and 600 miles mentioned above, this year one trip will be the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore and Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. The drive to Pictured Rocks less at about 6.5 hours and 400 miles but to Porcupine Mountains the distance is roughly the same as the Virginia trip. Alas for my incredible planning skills.

In any case, Michigan's upper peninsula is largely desolate, but beautiful thick forests with a sparse human population. Roughly 300,000 people inhabit an area the size of Denmark. I'd personally recommend either location to anyone, but especially those in the general Midwestern vicinity. Pictured Rocks is in the Hiawatha National Forest and the Lake Superior State Forest. Porcupine Mountains is simply designated as "Wilderness".

Watch out for Bears!

Woodland is a different matter in England. Most of it is cultivated since medieval times. However, in savernake forest, some twelve miles from my home, you do find evidence of times past. There's a memorial column celebrating the return of George III to good mental health. There's a tree carving by a 'Mary' in 1938 nearby. Elsewhere a man from from Chicago left hs name on a tree in May 1944, when the forest was used as an ammo dump. The roads of the time are visible with some tank traps and bunkers still evident. Savernake was also on a roman road just south of Cunetio (now the village of Mildenhall near Marlborough). Both the GWR and MSWJR railways built railways aroun the westrn edge, and a spur line into the forest was built in WW1 to supply timber. The forest is much smaller than it once was, and inflated claims of its boundaries meant that Henry 8th employed a man to find a definitive area for it. Of course, the days when bears, wolves, wild pigs, beaver, and other such animals are long gone, though you do come across deer especially in the quieter southern half.

There isn't much true wilderness left in Britain. There's pockets of it here and there,if you know where to look.

Edited by caldrail

...Of course, the days when bears, wolves, wild pigs, beaver, and other such animals are long gone, though you do come across deer especially in the quieter southern half.

There isn't much true wilderness left in Britain. There's pockets of it here and there,if you know where to look.

It is interesting that many predatory animals were eliminated almost entirely even in rather vast tracts of land that we might designate as "Wilderness". In Michigan's upper peninsula, despite the very limited farm land and the relatively small population, the mining (mainly copper) and timber industries of the 19th century still thought the better of letting cougars and wolves roam freely in areas of human inhabitation. Both were virtually eliminated. Today however, the Gray Wolf is making a steady comeback away from the endangered list. The Cougar (or mountain lion) while still exceptional at secluding itself and avoiding absolute verification by the Dept. of Natural Resources, has been increasingly reported by locals throughout the UP and even in the more densely populated metropolis in southeastern Michigan.

Despite losing ground with the expansion of human habitation in the southern peninsula, the Black Bear population is relatively strong and stable. I believe the estimates are that there are some 15-20,000 Bears in the state, but less than 3,000 in the lower peninsula. As opposed to the Cougar and Wolf, I don't believe the Black Bear has ever been considered endangered here.

Of course, with an abundant White-Tailed Deer population at roughly 1.5 million, it's no real surprise that predatory animals are having a bit of a resurgence.

Just thought I'd add this for reference if anyone wasn't sure what I was going on about.

Sorry PP we lost that image. (Now it's back . . .and fits into my post as well)

We can not get anyone of authority to acknowledge the existence of cougars here in southern Indiana but they are seen frequently enough to remove much doubt, and leave very large paw prints behind. Without question I saw a very large one close up, crossing a highway 3-miles west of Joliet Illinois, 40 miles west of Chicago in 1958, long before the release of "exotic" pets began.

White tail deer run through large glassed openings entirely within the city here, while their presence is encouraged. Gardens are endangered. All the while the most heated debate during the last couple of years has been over whether city people should be able to keep chickens cooped or free in enclosed yards. They can as long as they don't keep roosters! Coyote snatch cats and small dogs from back yards and are seen in the city. Turkey vultures become aggressive when interrupted from their dining along local roads. The state with the largest number of bears is New Jersey.

Humans, once seen as carrying the long stick are increasingly seen as no more than occasionally debarking from large harmless beasts that mostly move predictably along a smooth path through the forests, or are seen to occupy large enclosures, occasionally spilling

Edited by Faustus

I doubt that bears know what a rifle is. They are protected since many years and the ones that actually see a rifle...

Many bears come to mountain cities, resorts and villages to eat. Even Brasov, a 300.000 men city, has some visits as the mountain is very close to the city's medieval center. Bears are the only animals I fear around here. And cows of course...

A great place it's the Danube Delta, incredibly full of life, 3 hours drive away. I was there just once, in a weekend at it's limits, and I saw foxes, snakes, loads of birds, fish, frogs and ... mosquitos.

I doubt that bears know what a rifle is. They are protected since many years and the ones that actually see a rifle...

Many bears come to mountain cities, resorts and villages to eat. Even Brasov, a 300.000 men city, has some visits as the mountain is very close to the city's medieval center. Bears are the only animals I fear around here. And cows of course...

A great place it's the Danube Delta, incredibly full of life, 3 hours drive away. I was there just once, in a weekend at it's limits, and I saw foxes, snakes, loads of birds, fish, frogs and ... mosquitos.

Kosmo, of course you are right to a point.

Don't be too sure about the rifle thing, but true animals don't see many of those these days. My experience is that animals are endowed with fantastic memory ability. They learn the things to be wary of. Re; Darwin's trip to the Galapagos: He could reach out catch a bird. See the Lion example above. ( a stick shows an ability to reach out in attack, something to be wary of.)

Some of us are lucky enough to be distasteful to mosquitos, and immune to poisen ivey too.

Primus, Thanks, I'll take a look at that book.

A big concern is getting lost. When I go into large wooded areas I like to take a topographical map. Aerial photos (like google) just show a lot of unidentifiable, seemingly random ground clutter, and if you get down into a valley it

Primus, Thanks, I'll take a look at that book.

A big concern is getting lost. When I go into large wooded areas I like to take a topographical map. Aerial photos (like google) just show a lot of unidentifiable, seemingly random ground clutter, and if you get down into a valley it

I've been lost hunting too, Primus Pilus. It was my fault; I went into the bush without telling anyone where I was going, without a companion, a compass or a cellphone or any kind of precaution other than my rifle and some warm clothes. Like an idiot, I didn't even take any dogs. Amazing how bulletproof/stoopid you are at 19!

I became engrossed in the chase and did not realise that the sun was setting rapidly and before I knew it, darkness set in. I spent a freezing night in the bush with a Mars bar and a bottle of water my only sustenance. Luckily for me, my uncle the bushman knew that part of the bush well and came in and found me. I was sh***ing!

Something that I am at once happy and sad about is the lack of large land based predators like bears and cougars here in New Zealand. I've always thought how it would be cool to see one in the flesh (not too close, though.)