UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

A Roman Empire Today..

Zeke

Do you think something relitavly close to the Roman Empire could be formed in a country.

Example:Lets say a country like Luxmberg or the Netherlands wanted to become Roman, like really Roman, Roman looking towns, Latin Laungage, Roman Religion, Roman Culture and the like. Rome Republiscim also. Do you think that a new Rome could be ahcieved if enough people wanted it to happen. Except the new Rome would have modern day technolgy in the buildings and medicene and the like.

So do you think it could happen a nation could go Romaniazed and become just like the Empire of the past.

Explain your answear :)

Sorry about spelling

Zeke

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have often thought about this question. And the answer is not a chance. With the threat of Nuclear missiles if you invade another country they can launch a nuclear strike the invaders land without even setting foot into that country. Also there are more protections against invasions and that is UN and NATO, even though they get their critisisms they still do their job. So that is a brief explanation on why an empire can not be established.

I don't see a rebirth of the Roman Empire as possible or even, in some cases, desireable.

But I think a rebirth of appreciation for our classical heritage within the West is possible and certainly desired. I'm all for a certain multi-cultural awareness, but not at the expense of classical studies. I think North America, Europe and Australia would do well to realize they have more in common with each other via a common cultural ancestor than they have differences.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't see the rebirth of a Roman Empire in the sense of architecture and religion, but I do notice that it is cropping up in other ways. Take a good, hard look at the EU. The EU, at least economically at this point, is beginning to resemble the Roman Empire. For the first time since the collapse of the Roman Empire, Europe has become economically tied to each other, through a common currency as well as numerous other agreements. There are also seamless borders at many points, allowing you to drive from one country to another without the need to through a border crossing point. The EU has also been working on forming a military "strike force." A common second language has been batted around as well, especially now with more countries joining and Latin has been batted around as a possibility because no country wants to use another country's language as their secondary for fears it will make that country more dominate. Latin is considered a "neutral" language since no country uses it(at least in its purest form) and having this language brought into common use again would tribute Europes history as well as its historical ties to the Church. Now with Turkey wanting to join and hearing from friends in Europe that Morocco and Israel had thrown indications that they would join if the possibility came up, the Roman Empire would be practically recreated geographically too.

If it was a city than the answer is definitely, "NO!" You wouldn't want another 9/11 to happen to the 'New Rome', especially since terrorists are all over the globe now. Roman architecture was definitely weaker than modern day architecture (Our buildings are made of titanium and steel, their's is well...made out of marble and stone). If it was "Zeke the Celt's Roman Fair" than it's be a completely different story.

Our buildings are made of titanium and steel, their's is well...made out of marble and stone)

Since when has a building been made out of Titanium and Steel (Besides Sky Scrapers) the average American home today is made of wood. Weaker material then stone because it rots faster and termites eat it.

The materials the Romans used were not that weak.....several are still standing!

Zeke the Celt's Roman Fair

Nan I don't think I would want to start a fair lol.

A modern day Rome wouldn't be an Empire and it wouldn't be the accul capital of Italy. It was just use Roman things and such. The European Union I think might be the closest thing to a new Roman Empire, just not in an "Empire sense."

Sorry about spelling,

Zeke

As far as EU expansion, I don't see most Europeans going out of their way to embrace Islamic countries - they seem to feel they have enough Islamic peoples swelling their own internal ranks as it is. And I think the much maligned country of Israel has a better chance of becoming the 51st state before becoming a formal member of Europe. Heck, a lot of Western Europeans don't want anything to do with the former Communist nations of the East.

The Roman Empire was mostly a partnership between Roman elites and provincial elites, with the Roman Army cementing the deal. The EU's democratic and rather bureacratized government falls outside those parameters.

The closest thing today is probably the American hegemonic influence. During the Cold War and even beyond, the US backed local elites in areas of interest, and the local elites in return generally recognized American superiority in international affairs. Through military, economic and "cultural" influence, the US exerted a profound interest well outside its borders. This is not too far off from how the Romans ran their empire. The British are even to the Americans what the Greeks were to the Romans.

i live in england and i want nothing to do with the EU,our government is trying to convince us that its a good idea but all we see is corruption and a waste of tax payers money.

Hmmm the Rebirth of the Roman Empire , sounds good for me ;) Ok pick me in

It is realy inmposible to belive , mabe if someone form a small union of peoples who are ready to follow him in this Ancient dream we have some .... hope . Damn im a sick man , but i realy what that.. again .

USA - nooooo ! Freedom heheheheh , they don't know what freedom realy is.

Usa they don't have traditions , they are one hmm artificial Country . Everybody is from somewhere :-) You thing they are the most powerful nation in the world , heh. I thing they are the true terrorists in the modern world :) , not the nations they attack . But soon they shall pay for these anti-human act . I can write a lot about usa , but my words can't stop this madness :P

This is unbelievable. I can't go into any forum - any - without seeing people's comments on the Bush reelection. On forums that have absolutely nothing to do with American politics! I come here to discuss the Roman Empire, not listen to people tell me that I'm a terrorist.

Can we at least keep the political comments confined to the "after hours" lounge?

Everybody the world over is from somewhere. Using the concept of the US as an immigrant state against us is plain wrong. The fact that anyone can come here and practice 'freedom' is the definition of the term. There is no racial or national 'purity'. The lessons of history and migrations teach us that. Some places have a longer standing tradition of cultural uniformity, but it doesn't make it more 'right'.

This thread is about the re-birth of the Roman Empire, as vague and open as that may be, it's not about anti-Americanism. If you wish to discuss that topic, feel free to open another one in the After Hours lounge as Ursus suggests. I'm sure you'll find plenty of views on the subject, and would gladly participate in the appropriate forum.