UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Adelais Valerius

Collected Works Of Marcus Tullius Cicero

The book is entitled Collected Works of Marcus Tullius Cicero as the topic name, and is published by Bibliobazaar, published this year (2008). It includes:

De Amicitia, Scipio's Dream-translated by Andrew P. Peabody

Letters Of Cicero-translated by E.S. Shuckburgh

Treatises on Friendship and Old Age-translated by E.S. Shuckburgh

Anyone that has a love for Cicero will find this book interesting. Most anyone who has experience with Cicero's style knows that he is an easy read, and this book supplements that by having footnotes and things of that nature that help the reader along.

Andrew Peabody was a Preacher to Harvard University and Plummer Professor of Christian Morals, Emeritus. he was a is a known author from the 19th century, with more books written about christianity than anything else. I feel his grasp of latin is very well, and I think he keeps Cicero's personality within the text, which is what I look for just as much as I do authenticity and truth.

E.S. Shuckburgh or Evelyn Shirley Shuckburgh was a fellow of Emmanuel College at Cambridge(deceased), and author of numerous books, including the Letters of Cicero and a history of Rome, which I intend to read next.

The theme of the book seems to center around the lighter side of Cicero(personal opinion). Not necessarily the content of the letters, but instead of his works such as "on Government", it takes a seat to things such as getting old and friendship, his personal letters to Atticus, etc..(besides Scipio's Dream of course, which is the 6th book in Des Republica).Scipio's Dream is the first text in the book, followed by his letters and his treatise on friendship and old age. I this book found quite refreshing. I see it as a very good translation of on of my favorite statesman in Rome.

Overall, If you really like or love Cicero, I believe this book is worth picking up. It gives you just a bit more incite into the man. If your looking for a generally history, I would pick up Anthony Everett's Cicero, or if you just want the main points of Cicero's genius, I would find a book that contains his political or legal speeches, or Des Republica.

If interested, heres a link to Amazon, where you can find both New and Used Copies:

http://www.amazon.com/Collected-Works-Marc...4755&sr=8-1

I would also like to thank Primus Pilus for their awesome book review guide :)

Happy Reading Everyone!

Edited by mikeal1917

The book is entitled Collected Works of Marcus Tullius Cicero as the topic name, and is published by Bibliobazaar, published this year (2008). It includes:

De Amicitia, Scipio's Dream-translated by Andrew P. Peabody

Letters Of Cicero-translated by E.S. Shuckburgh

Treatises on Friendship and Old Age-translated by E.S. Shuckburgh

Anyone that has a love for Cicero will find this book interesting. Most anyone who has experience with Cicero's style knows that he is an easy read, and this book supplements that by having footnotes and things of that nature that help the reader along.

Andrew Peabody was a Preacher to Harvard University and Plummer Professor of Christian Morals, Emeritus. he was a is a known author from the 19th century, with more books written about christianity than anything else. I feel his grasp of latin is very well, and I think he keeps Cicero's personality within the text, which is what I look for just as much as I do authenticity and truth.

E.S. Shuckburgh or Evelyn Shirley Shuckburgh was a fellow of Emmanuel College at Cambridge(deceased), and author of numerous books, including the Letters of Cicero and a history of Rome, which I intend to read next.

The theme of the book seems to center around the lighter side of Cicero(personal opinion). Not necessarily the content of the letters, but instead of his works such as "on Government", it takes a seat to things such as getting old and friendship, his personal letters to Atticus, etc..(besides Scipio's Dream of course, which is the 6th book in Des Republica).Scipio's Dream is the first text in the book, followed by his letters and his treatise on friendship and old age. I this book found quite refreshing. I see it as a very good translation of on of my favorite statesman in Rome.

Overall, If you really like or love Cicero, I believe this book is worth picking up. It gives you just a bit more incite into the man. If your looking for a generally history, I would pick up Anthony Everett's Cicero, or if you just want the main points of Cicero's genius, I would find a book that contains his political or legal speeches, or Des Republica.

If interested, heres a link to Amazon, where you can find both New and Used Copies:

http://www.amazon.com/Collected-Works-Marc...4755&sr=8-1

I would also like to thank Primus Pilus for their awesome book review guide :lol:

Happy Reading Everyone!

That was actually MPC... I just posted it on his behalf. Just giving credit where it's due.

O, very sorry about that MPC, I must had read it wrong. Anyways, cheers to you for the great guide!!