UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Cato The Elder Project

Adelais Valerius

I need good,convient sources on Cato the Elder for a project. Their wasn't a huge section on this website, and I don't really like using Wikpedia. It's only a 2 minute presentation, but I really want to show how he was, not just the normal"o he was a censor and a praetor" things. Any suggestions? I imagine M. Porcius Cato should have good information :angry:

I need good,convient sources on Cato the Elder for a project. Their wasn't a huge section on this website, and I don't really like using Wikpedia. It's only a 2 minute presentation, but I really want to show how he was, not just the normal"o he was a censor and a praetor" things. Any suggestions? I imagine M. Porcius Cato should have good information :angry:

While it may not be convenient, one would be remiss not to use the original source material and indeed Cato's own writings...

Plutarch's biography of Cato the Elder

Cornelius Nepos' biography

Cato's De Agricultura (on farming)

and Cicero's take on Cato's De Senectute (on old age).

....Too bad you don't have a chance to do a report on Cato the Younger--he's much more interesting.

I was going to do both, so I guess good sources on the younger would be good too, I just didn't think to ask. In a couple weeks we have another paper and I was going to follow up with the younger. That family tree is quite interesting, I didn't realize some of the people he was related to.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Edited by mikeal1917