UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

T.V. Historians

spittle

I'm a big fan of Michael Wood. He is reserved and contained but emits an intense enthusiasm for whichever subject he is explaining.

Whilst considering this post I realised that all the T.V. historians I knew of were British. Simon Schama, Nigel Spivey, Adam Hart-Davis, Michael Wood and the celebrity amateurs such as Tony Robinson (et al) and Terry Jones.

Are these people known around the world?

Or does every area have its own televised historians?

N.B.

I have just remembered a Canadian historian who had a very low budget show called 'The Naked Archeologist' (?).

50% of the airtime was devoted to him getting ready to leave from home (being helped to pack by his cute kiddies and kissing his wife, etc).

Another significant chunk of this show was his return home (being helped to unpack by his cute kiddies and kissing his wife....).

Very different to what I'm accustomed to in a history programme.

I'm a big fan of Michael Wood. I have a few of his series on DVD, including 'In Search of the Trojan War' and 'In the Footsteps of Alexander the Great'. I also like Terry Jones's stuff, although I prefer his books rather than his TV shows, which tend to be far too light. Medieval Lives and Crusades are good series, that are worth watching.

I'm not sure really. I have the History Channel but there rarely seems to be anything interesting on when I am home from work (there was this 'fascinating' documentary on the use of trucks in World War II ...) . Then there is PBS which tries to be educational, but again rarely has anything I'd watch.

I'm not sure really. I have the History Channel but there rarely seems to be anything interesting on when I am home from work (there was this 'fascinating' documentary on the use of trucks in World War II ...) . Then there is PBS which tries to be educational, but again rarely has anything I'd watch.

I agree. I find myself watching more History International (which is a digital cable channel), but still. Terry Jones is great, I think, more because he's knowledgeable enough and he knows how to present something to a mass audience. The best at that, though, is Peter Weller, who we've talked about on here; he's a true academian and a long-time actor.

Simcha Jacobovici is, well, different. I do enjoy watching 'The Naked Archeologist' simply because he's not afraid to show many sides and theories of the same problem. However, once I learned that he's not really an archeologist but a producer who is much in the same mold as James Cameron (using the media to explore his interests), it made more sense. He has a tendency to interview and include people who are controversial, and often notes the main arguments...it's certainly a refreshing change. This new season is quite interesting to me; he's moving away from such major Hebrew/Judean topics and getting into early Christian and contemporary topics. Admittedly, he's got me hooked!

The Naked Archeologist only appeared on British TV for a few episodes and I don't think it even had its own regular slot in the schedule or I'd agree to give him another chance.

It wouldn't be a hardship. I find myself watching history programmes of the pooorest quality simply because the choice is so limited.

Now if I loved soap opera's I could pick and choose with abandon.........!

That must be wrong!

Terry Jones is my favourite even if he is considered as a talented amateur. His series 'Barbarians' was great. The man can't help but infuse his subject matter with humour, ex Python that he is.

I much prefer to read history because often when you see these historians in the flesh on the telly as presenters they are about as interesting as watching paint dry.

Television with all of it's focus on ratings and demographics is not a medium that lends itself well to history, in my humble opinion.