UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

revolt in roman Gaul

qselby

Although Gaul became a vital and integral part of the Empire, there were revolts from the young and the restless throughout its imperial history. I'm trying to zero in on two revolts that happened before Claudius' reign. Probably in the 20's. Can anybody help me? I think one revolt took plaCE IN 25 ad.

Edited by qselby

In 21 there was a revolt in Gaul led by Iulius Florus and Iulius Sacrovir. The cause, apparently, was the exactions of Roman bankers, fanned by the activities of the Druids (Sacrovir may have belonged to the order). As usual, the Gauls were divided and most of the trouble was confined to the Aedui and Treveri. The legions of the Upper Rhine and the urban cohort of Lugdunum crushed the rebels.

Other revolts took place during the chaotic period after Nero's death. In 68 occured the revolt of Vindex which mainly involved the Arverni; and in 69-70 was the serious revolt of the Batavian Civilis which included Germans on both sides of the Rhine as well as the Gallic Treveri, Lingones and Nervii.

Edited by Pompieus