UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Legions that Invaded Britain

Taelactin

I've been searching for as many primary sources as I could find regarding the Roman Empire's invasion of Britain during the reign of Claudia (only finding three passages by Cassius Dio, and some sparse passages from Tacitus and Seutonius), but I can't seem to find any place that confirms that the commonly accepted four invading Legions of Britain were indeed the four legions that invaded Britain.

Legio II Augusta

Legio IX Hispana

Legio XIV Gemina

Legio XX Valeria Victrix

How do we know that these were the four Legions that invaded Britannica in 43 C.E.? I'm sure it has to do with some archaeological evidence--but what archaeological evidence? Any citations for further reading that actually explains the theories behind why these were the four legions that took part in the campaign would be greatly appreciated.

Legio II Augusta

Legio IX Hispana

Legio XIV Gemina

Legio XX Valeria Victrix

How do we know that these were the four Legions that invaded Britannica in 43 C.E.? I'm sure it has to do with some archaeological evidence--but what archaeological evidence? Any citations for further reading that actually explains the theories behind why these were the four legions that took part in the campaign would be greatly appreciated.

Salve Taelactin

Here is a quote from page - 20 of

I believe that a great deal of the Roman military history of Britain has been the result of epigraphic evidence, that is inscriptions on tombstones and architectual remains that archaeologists have unearthed over the years. Cheeseman, Parker, Webser et al all have innumerable references to C.I.L. and Dessau etc.

Edited by Pompieus

Indeed epigraphy is a very good source of information, both british and german one since when the legions left the Rhine area they stopped dedicating altars to the gods, tombstones and all such buildings as well as producing tiles and other ceramic products which wore the legion's stamp

I've been searching for as many primary sources as I could find regarding the Roman Empire's invasion of Britain during the reign of Claudia (only finding three passages by Cassius Dio, and some sparse passages from Tacitus and Seutonius), but I can't seem to find any place that confirms that the commonly accepted four invading Legions of Britain were indeed the four legions that invaded Britain.

Legio II Augusta

Legio IX Hispana

Legio XIV Gemina

Legio XX Valeria Victrix

Salve, Taelactin.

Besides the epigraphical evidence (mostly funerary inscriptions) previously noted that locates those four legions at Britannia circa the Plautius invasion and their dissapearance from their previous bases on Germania and Pannonia, Publius Cornelius Tacitus informed all of them were combating against Boudicca's revolt 18 years later (Annales, Liber XIV, cp. XXXII, XXXIV et XXXVII):

[XXXII] et victor Britannus, Petil[l]o Ceriali, legato legionis nonae, in subsidium adventanti obvius, fudit legionem, et quod peditum interfecit.

The victorious enemy met Petilius Cerialis, commander of the ninth legion, as he was coming to the rescue, routed his troops, and destroyed all his infantry.

[XXXIV] Iam Suetonio quarta decima legio cum vexillariis vicesimanis et [e] proximis auxiliares, decem ferme milia armatorum, erant, cum omittere cunctationem et congredi acie parat.

Suetonius had the fourteenth legion with the veterans of the twentieth, and auxiliaries from the neighbourhood, to the number of about ten thousand armed men, when he prepared to break off delay and fight a battle.

[XXXVII] et Poenius Postumus, praefectus castrorum secundae legionis, cognitis quartadecimanorum vicesimanorumque prosperis rebus, quia pari gloria legionem suam fraudaverat abnueratque contra ritum militiae iussa ducis, se ipse gladio transegit.

Postumus too, camp-prefect of the second legion, when he knew of the success of the men of the fourteenth and twentieth, feeling that he had cheated his legion out of like glory, and had contrary to all military usage disregarded the general's orders, threw himself on his sword.

Edited by ASCLEPIADES

Coupled with their departure from the Rhine the earliest archaeological remains in Britain (here tile and other stamps are possibly more prevalent than other forms of epigraphy referred to above) show the same Legions as present from a very early date during various construction projects including their own bases. Some of the evidence is quoted under the individual legion names at:

http://www.roman-britain.org/military/british_legions.htm