UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Faustus

On The Political Spectrum

The Political Spectrum: Take The Test: Libertarian / Statist - (Left/Centrist/Right)

Just 10 questions: <Click Here>

(To plot your score; you may need to print-out.)

Edited by Faustus

I scored a dead-centre on this. However, being an American test there were some issues which are very hot in the UK at present which perhaps arent in the US, and were absent from the test. I have some strong views on these absent topics!

I scored a dead-centre on this. However, being an American test there were some issues which are very hot in the UK at present which perhaps arent in the US, and were absent from the test. I have some strong views on these absent topics!

Good comment NN. I thought that would be the case for people outside the US making it esoteric(?). Those very items might be "neutral" here (L & R fall on both side).

With 80 points on personal and 20 on economic I'm a liberal. No surprise here.

With 80 points on personal and 20 on economic I'm a liberal. No surprise here.

But mine might be a surprise: 70 on personal and 80 on economic.

100% personal and 100% economic. In my view, economic freedom without personal freedom is a bore; personal freedom without economic freedom is a fantasy.

100%/100% for me, too.

100% personal and 100% economic. In my view, economic freedom without personal freedom is a bore; personal freedom without economic freedom is a fantasy.

Nicely said, MPC. But I'm having a tough time seeing how one can even have boring economic freedom without personal freedom.

If your government threatens you with imprisonment for using your freely earned dollars to purchase recreational drugs and prostituted sex (prohibited because your nanny government knows what's best for you), or prevents you from earning a living for yourself through prostituting your own body (if that's your choice, considering that your body is your property -- not your government's property), then you don't really have economic freedom (as well as personal freedom). It just seems to me that economic and personal freedoms are inseparable.

-- Nephele

100%/100% for me, too.

Nicely said, MPC. But I'm having a tough time seeing how one can even have boring economic freedom without personal freedom.

I agree.

100, 100 --- but this so-called test was very shallow.

If taken as a "quick and cursory" tool to locate one on the "political spectrum" it's fine. These are the 5 salient questions in the U.S. at present;

Salve, Amici

It seems fiscal terrorism is reaching new heights ...

(possible Romanian exception?)

We have now a nice 16% income tax regardless of the size of the income (before it was progressive so I could end up with a 40% tax). I'm less happy with the indirect taxes that were raised with EU accession, especially those on gas and cigarettes are bad. The gas price it's greatly increased by a tax and then by VAT applied even to the tax. Still, we have now no tax to imports from EU and those from outside EU were greatly reduced.

I'm an welfare liberal, believing in personal freedom and a "free market" but also I believe that the state should act so no one lives in abject poverty. With less poor the society it's better for everybody.

I do think that personal freedom it's worthless without some economic safety. Otherwise we're slaves to the grind...

If taken as a "quick and cursory" tool to locate one on the "political spectrum" it's fine. These are the 5 salient questions in the U.S. at present;

If every citizen had an I.D. card we would know that only citizens were voting in our national elections. The votes of citizens would not be diluted. We would also know who among our employers were employing illegal hires because they could be licensed to do so.

"We" could also check them at airports--and keep track of who goes where and when. "We" could require them for employment--and know where every drop of a citizen's economic blood comes from (the better to drain it). And "we" could also use them to validate marriages, births, school enrollments, credit ratings, insurance policies, membership in political parties and unions and churches, so that "we" the State can track, monitor, and approve or deny every aspect of our private lives and social intercourse. No thanks.

Personally, I agree with Ayn Rand: "Civilization is the progress toward a society of privacy. The savage's whole existence is public, ruled by the laws of his tribe. Civilization is the process of setting man free from men."