UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Secondary transfer of Roman goods beyond the frontiers

Recent threads on settlements and finds in Northern Scotland prompted me to kick this one off. Here is an extract from one of those other threads:

Well that would not be so surprising, it could be the result of secondary transfer ( that is inter-barbarian exchanges, be it commercial or social gifts ) or pillages or the roman areas.[This refers to the Roman coin horde found in the Uists, outer Hebrides]

What are the furthest recorded finds of Roman Material found in a proper archaeological context? An interesting secondary - or even tertiary - transfer I came across recently was a silver coin of Trajan, found in an archaeological context from a second century site near Tampere, Finland. I expect though that there have been finds of material far more distant from the frontiers than this.

What are the furthest recorded finds of Roman Material found in a proper archaeological context? An interesting secondary - or even tertiary - transfer I came across recently was a silver coin of Trajan, found in an archaeological context from a second century site near Tampere, Finland. I expect though that there have been finds of material far more distant from the frontiers than this.

Salve, NN.

I'm really not sure if the primary source of the following is reliable, but here it comes from en.Wikipedia's article on "Sino-Roman relations" (sic):

"At the formerly coastal site of